I Am A White Caucasian Female, But My Friends Are Not

In today’s society it seems that we are going backwards.

25
Unsplash

In today’s society it seems that we are going backwards. Back to a time where everyone was being segregated due to their color, race, and religion. We finally got to a point where our countries people were finally getting together and slowly becoming one. From being friends, to having numerous interracial relationships. Now to families being not just one ethnicity. The country and the world were evolving. It was amazing to see how no matter what our difference’s were or our past experiences were that we still stand side by side everyday. But things are changing … For the past couple of month’s, I have watched the country and its people change one day at a time. Daily you hear about all the horrific crimes that people commit. As well as all the hate towards each other. There was a case in the United States where a little boy was attacked with racial slurs because he was a different skin tone then his mother. Many people are taking there hate out on innocent little children. I myself personally think it is wrong to do that.

I work for a children’s shoe store, where I help numerous children and adults of many cultures and religions everyday. Unfortunately, I have observed the way that many adults look at certain families because of their culture and stereotype them. Why? It’s not fair. You don’t even know those families. Do they realize they are setting a bad example, for their children later on in life? Why should you sit their and, automatically judge them due to their race or religion? I work with these families everyday, regardless of their race or religion. Over the times that I have spent working with these families, I have learned so many different things about multiple families, cultures and their religions which I love. It makes me happy each and everyday when I see a child go up to approach another child regardless of, culture and religion and become friends with them. They don’t see the stereotypes that multiple young adults and adults in general see everyday. Sadly, this is what children these days have to look forward to later on life.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a home where, the idea of other people’s cultures was common to me. I grew up with my mother who is Italian and Irish and a step dad who is Brazilian. My mom, always made sure to instill in me no to judge people on their skin tone, language, and religion. Each person was just like me. Yes, they may look different, speak different, and believe in different things, but they are just like me. Still, to this day I believe that. Throughout high school I had a numerous amounts of friends that were not like me. Many people looked at me funny and would talk about me because the people who I was friends with where not supposed to be the individuals I should have hung with. For years, I would spend time with numerous people who were from the other side of the world. They were always looked at funny because of their language. They would always be made fun of and avoided because of the clothes they would wear because of their own beliefs in their religion. It would always bother me hearing such nasty things being said about them. I would also hang out with others of a completely different skin tones. One who is my best friend. Lately, there have been numerous times where we have gone out and people look at me and stare because I am white and she is not. So what? Just because she is a different skin tone as me doesn’t mean we are much different. We talk about everything, like a lot of the same things, and have each others backs. Just because you don’t have friends like mine doesn’t mean you have to look at me differently because my friends aren’t like yours.

I am a white, but my friends are not. But does that seem to make me think any different of them? NO! I treat them the same way that they treat me. I treat them equally. They are my friends who make me laugh and show me different sides of the world that I would not really know about unless I had friends like mine. I wish people would stop following the stereotypes and take the chance to get to know someone. Hear their story. They may actually be very much like you. Yet, how would you ever know unless you try? What I am really trying to say is just because someone has a different skin tone, religion, or culture as you don’t mean they should be treated fairly!

I am White, but my friends are not, and I am Proud !