How To Become A White Ally For Black Lives

Supporting other humans does not require a certain skin color.

21
Unsplash

Our society spends a lot of time talking about things that are wrong with the world and people we should be angry at.

The problem: that doesn't get things accomplished.

Hopefully, you realize that black lives do matter, and that this isn't acknowledged the way it should be. You'd like to become an ally for black lives, but you're not sure how to help change things for the better.

Read on for 9 steps to point you in the right direction:

1. Do your research.

The Black Lives Matter movement does not exist to simply pass the time, folks. To become an ally, you must make an effort to understand the circumstances that black men and women face which deny them basic human rights and thwart their pursuits of happiness.

If you or a friend share photos like these, you have a little more work to do before becoming an ally:

Yes, things would be easier if everyone behaved the way they were expected to and received the promised reward for their behavior. And depending on factors such as where you live, how much money you have, and the color of your skin, that just might work.

It's also no secret there are far more police officers who fulfill their duty to serve and protect than those who do not. But for too many black lives, this has not been the case.

Let us also remember that improving relations with police is one of many aspects that the Black Lives Matter movement seeks to address.

Research is one of the most important things you can do for this movement. Read up on individuals' experiences, important statistics, and factors that too often prevent black people from thriving. Share that information with others.

The more we understand about each other, the more difficult it is for us to hate and fear each other.

2. Choose your words wisely.

If your response to those who speak out on behalf of black lives is something along the lines of, "But all lives matter," you probably aren't listening carefully enough.

Of course all lives matter. However, black people's lives are devalued far too often for preventable reasons, so we're going to focus on that and work to fix it for the foreseeable future.

Be careful with your words when speaking with someone about this movement, because you may be the only one who talks to them directly about it.

3. Diversify your environment.

Even if your city or state lacks diversity, there are plenty of ways you can begin to tune into voices who have different experiences from you. Chances are, you'll also have quite a bit in common.

Follow social media pages and profiles who represent black voices. Read books written by black authors. Listen to music by black artists. Share especially moving pieces with friends.

Remember that you are not here to take precedence over these voices, but to celebrate and support them.

4. Stay peaceful.

A violent movement is never worth fighting for. I repeat:a violent movement is never worth fighting for.

People are hurt and angry, and justifiably so. They are allowed to organize peaceful protests in order to make their voices heard. Violence for the sake of peace will never be acceptable, and it does not represent the Black Lives Matter movement. A movement that seeks to harm others does not deserve to exist, for it contradicts everything it wishes to achieve.

Contrary to what you might have heard, Black Lives Matter is a peaceful movement, and it will stay that way. Remember that.

5. Get your other friends involved.

Challenge and encourage your other friends to grow with you. Call them out when they do or say something that isn't okay. Lead each other by example.

Becoming an ally is bound to be an uncomfortable journey, but uncomfortable is key here. Having friends to support you along the way will be helpful.

6. Prepare for a new type of popularity.

Honestly, by raising your voice, you might lose favor from some of the people in your life. Or, you might gain favor. It's sort of a toss-up, depending on who lives in your community.

Either way, the new connections you make will be more meaningful, and the right people will respect you for standing up for what you believe in and promoting others' well-being.

7. Be the change you wish to see in your community.

How can you expect things to change on a national level if they aren't happening in your own community?

No one has an influence in your area quite like you. Hold your community accountable. Organize an event or demonstration that spreads awareness and brings your friends and neighbors together.

If you see something wrong, do something about it. Do not let young, white boys and girls tell racist jokes and then get rewarded for it with your laughter. While you don't need to yell, you do need to explain to this child why what they said was hurtful. Obviously, they've heard those ideas somewhere else, and not taking something like that seriously is only sculpting an awful mindset for his or her adult life.

8. Vote.

How do you fight institutionalized racism? By advocating for preventative measures and electing officials who are aware of the problem.

No matter how much money a politician has, not one can force you to vote for him or her without your consent.

Vote often. Vote wisely.

9. Don't give up.

Moving to Canada is running away from the problem. Blocking or deleting people who disagree with you is running away from the problem. Remaining silent is running away from the problem. Running away from the problem makes you just as responsible for inaction.

Fight this battle alongside your brothers and sisters. Your community and your country will thank you.

Race is not biological, but rather a social construct. Examination of the human genome and historical events has shown this.

In spite of our faults, we're all humans. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe it's time we started treating each other like it.