10 Of Disney's Greatest Animated Shows

10 Of Disney's Greatest Animated Shows

With So Many Great Shows Which One Is Best
2098

Recently, while watching videos on YouTube, two videos caught my eye. The videos rank the greatest Disney animated shows of all time; you can watch their list below.

I thought while they had a good list there were a couple pretty great shows missing, so I decided to make my own top ten. When I told my friend and peer Odyssey writer Erik Harrell, he decided we should do an all time top ten list of animated shows, so I'll be covering Disney and he'll be covering Cartoon Network; Next week we'll have a joint article on the top 10 animated shows of all time.

10. "Aladdin"

Based on one of the most successful Disney movies of all time, "Aladdin" was a continuation of the adventures of Aladdin, Jasmine, Genie and Abu, and included most of the original voices from Aladdin. The show expanded on all the adventures of Aladdin and was just as fun and humorous as the original movie though it lacked the musical element that the original possessed.

9. "Braceface"

This show holds a special place in my heart because I had braces from the fifth to the ninth grade, but that is not why this show makes my list. This show was a fun, entertaining show about a girl named Sharon who struggled through middle and then high school . The show had a nice animation style, was funny, and was one of the first of the quirky girl animated shows.

8. "Phineas and Ferb"

"Phineas and Ferb" is one of the most fun shows to ever appear on Disney channel. The show followed two kids going on wacky adventures during their summer vacation. What propelled the show to greatness was its running gags, creative stories, and great pop culture references. The show has become the longest running Disney animated series of all time, further proving it's greatness.

7. "American Dragon: Jake Long"

I remember watching this show when it first aired on Disney channel and I was hooked from the first episode. This show followed Jake Long, who was a cocky 13-year-old Chinese-American, and his adventures in high school. Unbeknownst to most around him, Jake is from a long line of defenders of the magical world and can turn into a dragon when necessary. Jake is taught by his grandfather and his magical speaking dog on how to protect the magical world. This show has great action sequences and I love delving into the magical world and magical lore of the "American Dragon: Jake Long." This show's blend of action, wit and the constant lessons learned by Jake turned it into one of Disney's best shows.

6. "DuckTales"

"DuckTales" was one of the great animated shows of the 80s and 90s and was one of Disney flagship programs. "DuckTales" was the story of Scrooge McDuck and his three grandnephews Huey, Dewey and Louie and the wacky adventures they participated in. This show in many ways is a precursor to "Phineas and Ferb" b7 showing young kids going on insanely cooky adventures and, like "Phineas and Ferb," had a plethora of pop culture references and great characters. The show's running gags were so great they spawned two shows: "Darkwing Duck" and "Quack Pack." The humor in "DuckTales'" used to fill the summer hours in my youth.

5. "The Proud Family"

As a young black man, no show meant more to me on Disney Channel than "The Proud Family." The show follows Penny Proud and her journey through high school with her friends and family. This show was a welcomed and positive characterization of the black family. Taking inspiration from "The Cosby Show" and "Family Matters," the show wonderfully displays the social anxiety and troubles of a female, African-American lead without stooping to stereotypes; This show had heart, was full of laughs and was truly one of Disney's greatest creations.

4. "Filmore"

This is show is a fantastic spoof-ish show of the noir crime thriller centered around middle school. Former bad boy Cornelius Filmore decides to start doing good and joins the safety patrol, which is the school's equivalent of the police. The show has genuine mysteries, great stories and takes the normal police procedural and puts a little spin on it by making it take place inside of a middle school. By using two former delinquent students as the show's protagonist, it shows how people can change.

3. "Recess"

"Recess" is a favorite of most of the kids of my generation. "Recess" followed a group of friends at a school during recess and all of the adventures that they got into. One great part of this show was how they depicted elementary school as operating more like high-school with intense cliques. This show was hilarious and spawned two fantastic movies.

2. "Kim Possible"

This was the staple cartoon of my childhood and I remember waiting in anticipation for the latest weekly episodes. This show starred an extremely talented heroine who could do everything and regularly saved the world and her city from enemies with her inept sidekick Ron Stoppable. The show had fantastic villains like Drakken and Shego, who helped make the series great.

1. "Gargoyles"

Gargoyles was by far the greatest cartoon ever produced by Disney Chanel. The show centers around a group of Gargoyles being awoken after 1,000 years of being trapped by a spell; they awaken in 1994 on the top of a Skyscraper. The reason "Gargoyles" sits atop my list is because it has complex characters and stories, is extremely dark for a Disney show, and has great themes and stories unparalleled to anything Disney has made since then.