Where Will You Be On August 21, 2017?

Where Will You Be On August 21, 2017?

Witness the Great American Total Solar Eclipse.

14
Where Will You Be On August 21, 2017?
Wikipedia

On Monday, August 21, 2017, people across the United States will turn their eyes to the skies for a chance to glimpse a partial or even a total solar eclipse. While most people have witnessed a partial solar eclipse, a 70-mile wide diagonal swath of Americans will see the first total solar eclipse in almost 40 years in the continental US, and perhaps even the first one of their lives.

On that summer morning, the Moon will be directly between the sun and Earth. It will cast a shadow on Earth, including the continental United States. Those in the lighter, outer part of this shadow will experience a partial solar eclipse. Those in the darker, inner part of the shadow or the umbra will have the chance to witness a spectacular total eclipse. For almost three minutes, birds will stops singing, daylight will become dimmer and the temperature will drop noticeably. In the sky, stars, planets and a phenomenon known as the Baily’s beads effect, in which sunlight peeks through the lunar valleys, will be visible. But, these are only visible during total solar eclipses and clear weather conditions, so here are the most scientifically interesting, scenic, culturally interesting and just plain best places to view “nature’s grandest non-violent spectacle.”

If you are fortunate enough to live in Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina or South Carolina, you won’t have to travel far to be within the path of totality. However, the following list won’t contain locations from each state. Rather, it will avoid places with typically unclear August weather conditions or places that are within totality but lack any accompanying astronomical events or cultural attractions. On the other hand, it will contain places that lend themselves to scenic eclipse photography, places that have a rich cultural, musical, or architectural heritage and places that are simply unique. Above all, each spot chosen has typically clear weather in late August and will experience totality, not a partial solar eclipse.

For the Astronomy Buffs

The annual Oregon Star Party in Crook County is one of the largest in the US. Founded in 1986, it’s considered one of the best events for observational astronomy. It takes place in Oregon’s Ochoco National Forest, far enough from cities to have some of the darkest skies in North America. Its treeless viewing site is at an altitude of 5000 feet, providing an unobstructed field of view. While this might sound like a place for only knowledgeable astronomers, the OSP welcomes people with any level of astronomy background; those handling telescopes for the first time can attend mentoring activities to learn more about their instruments. Moreover, the six-day event will have six speakers and activities for both kids and adults. Whether you are a seasoned astronomer or just excited to see your first total solar eclipse, the Oregon Star Party invites all.

Illinois is the state for those who want to see the eclipse for the longest possible time, attend astronomy talks and star parties and be amidst academics. What these viewing sites lack in attractions is made up by the astronomy resources available. NASA will be live-streaming the event in Carbondale. Southern Illinois University is partnering with NASA to set up a public eclipse viewing in the university’s stadium, with lectures and star parties planned in coordination with the Astronomical Association of Southern Illinois.

Likewise, the city of Goreville is partnering with the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign to set up eclipse-viewing sites. The University’s Department of Astronomy will have over 30 professional astronomers in Goreville to explain the eclipse to viewers. If you are interested in the science behind eclipses rather than in simply observing it, these two locations are designed for that purpose.

Scenic Spots for Eclipse Photography

If you’re looking for a scenic backdrop for eclipse photography, Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming provides snow-peaked mountains for a dramatic addition to a total solar eclipse photo. The Wyoming Stargazing group is hosting public eclipse-viewing events in Jackson Hole, where viewers can climb easily-accessible peaks such as Sheep Mountain or Snow King Mountain for better views. However, all of the hotels in Jackson Hole are already booked for late August. Visitors must now look for accommodations in nearby communities such as Rexburg and Alpine.

Culture, Music and Attractions

If you’re looking for more culture than astronomy and enjoy country music, Nashville, Tennessee is the city for you. Dubbed “Music City U.S.A” and one of the few big cities completely within totality, Nashville houses the Grand Ole Opry, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage, the Johnny Cash Museum and the Parthenon in Centennial Park. On the astronomical side, the Nashville Adventure Science Center is organizing events to explain the science behind eclipses, and the Sudekum Planetarium will show visitors more than 6.5 million stars. Historic hotels include the Hutton and Union Station, or for a cheaper option, Homewood Suites in downtown Nashville.

Vacation Mode

If you are 21 or older and consider yourself a wine aficionado, consider heading to Oregon. Not only is Salem the state’s capital, it’s also the location of multiple vineyards which are hosting multiple-day events for the eclipse. Arcane Cellars and Eola Hills Wine Cellars are both converting their vineyards into eclipse viewing sites and inviting guest speakers. The Oregon Museum of Science & Industry is taking a more academic approach to the eclipse by putting on a viewing party, science lectures and amateur astronomy nights.

No matter from which of these thirteen places you chose to view the 2017 total solar eclipse, each has some unique aspect that will make the experience even more worthwhile. Depending on your interests, you can spend time learning the mechanics behind solar eclipses from NASA scientists, taking photos of the diamond ring with the Teton Range in the background, listening to Arapaho eclipse folklore or witnessing the eclipse in an Oregon vineyard. With such a large swath of the US in the path of totality and so many public events planned in anticipation, no American should miss the chance to view this summer’s historic eclipse.