Home To Me

Whether your home be a place, a person or simply yourself, it’s where you feel safe and comfortable. Always hold onto those memories because they hold a value that’s irreplaceable. As a kid who grew up on Long Island, NY I never truly understood how large the world was outside of my town. I had no clue what was out there. New York City was only a place I visited when the circumstances called for it. I went there to go eat, watch a show on Broadway or just visit the tree at Rockefeller Center. I made so many fond memories with different people throughout the years and every moment was unforgettable.

The Water Bed

When I was about 3 years old I lived in a home with many of my family members. That house held so many of my childhood memories that are still with me to this day. One day, me and my “uncle” who is more like an older brother to me since he’s only a year older, were watching T.V. and saw a water bed. As young kids, we thought that this was the coolest thing ever. This may hint to what we did next. In our heads, we clicked the two terms together and thought “Well we already have a bed right?” and went off to get two buckets of water. All in all, my parents had to buy a new bed because of what we did. I still think it was intuitive for a 3 year old though.

The First Experience in the City

The city was a different culture yet still felt familiar in a way. When my aunt would come visit us sometimes, she would bring me to the city to go to “Toys”R”Us” when it was still going strong. I was never too fond of the mechanical t-rex and I would either be hiding behind my aunt or just closing my eyes and covering my ears from its roar. I wonder what it looked like to see a short little boy doing all of this. It must’ve been pretty funny to others, who knows. It was always around the holidays when I went to the city so I got to go see the Christmas tree as well and the lights lit my eyes up and I was mesmerized by everything around me. Seeing this for the first time was breathtaking.

Friends For Life

I’ve always had a group of friends that had stuck around with me throughout the years. I hold them very high in my life because for the most part, they stuck around with me. Hell, that’s a major accomplishment so I applaud you. They used to deal with me, being a really big basketball fan, then and now. We played basketball whether it was in the blazing heat, the freezing cold, rain or snow. Then we ended up just hanging out for the rest of the day. It was one piece of home where I don’t want to let go.

The House on Hudson Street

My family was everywhere in my town. We moved from place to place but we stayed with my grandparents for a significant part in my life. I grew up here and also visited as often as possible during my childhood. I remember my grandpa had bought me a little blue roller bike. That little thing brought me so much happiness. I shared it with my sister when I was younger and let her ride in the front while I was controlling it. My grandpa was always chewing one type of gum. Winterfresh. I can imagine the smell of it and when I was leaving the house I used to give him a kiss on the cheek before I was leaving at the age of 4. The scruffiness of his beard was always so weird for me but it stuck. The image of him sitting at his desk with his bright white circular light is imprinted in my mind.

A Time of Sadness Overcome by Family

During hurricane Sandy, I remember my house felt more like a home when family came to stay with us in this period of time. I recall going downstairs in my house and everyone was all together getting ready to watch a movie. I remember looking around and thinking “This is everything. In the worst times, I can always look to my family for comfort”.

College

When it was finally time for me to attend college, it was a big step forward for me as a person. It was intimidating when all you ever knew was going to school in such a small town and having a close knit group of friends. Now it’s a melting pot of kids all over the world. I wasn’t going to let this chance pass me by. I made friends in college and the school has slowly but surely started turning into a home where I felt welcomed.

Spoiling the First Child

My grandparents on my mom’s side have always been by my side throughout my life. They’ve supported every decision I’ve made and had my back on everything I wanted to accomplish. I’m not going to lie when I say that I was spoiled. I was blessed enough to get these two people amazing people in my life who gave me all the love in the world. Bringing me on trips to different states. My goal even to this day is to keep making them proud and to keep a smile on their faces whenever I can. Thank you so much.

My Parents

My first home. My parents have always wanted the best for me. They’ve given me everything a parent could give. Support on the hardest parts of my life. Laughs at the best of times. The love needed at the lowest parts. The smiles at the highest. Though I may be stubborn at times with them, it’s because I was never good at showing my emotions to them. I’m always going to be their “little boy” because that’s how parents are. To think I used to sleep on my dad’s chest when I was younger. Now I’d probably kill him if I tried. My parents love to pull jokes on me too. I went to the bathroom one night only to come back out in a completely dark room. I hate getting scared and that’s exactly what they decided to do but don’t worry, I’m going to get back at them soon enough. I love you.