5 Things You Can, And Should, Get Away With When You're Young

Young, dumb, and broke - pick two.

452
Rachel Dagen

Ah, to be young again. Something I hear my parents and "older" friends say too often. Yawn.

But perhaps there is some truth to this idea. Being young, especially being in college, you have a lot of freedom to do things that you probably won't be able to do at other times in your life. Having a job, a family, a home of your own changes the course of your day to day life.

However, when you are younger and maybe don't have a lot of those things yet, you have a lot of room to be young and dumb as much as you want! Because the reality is, you'll never be able to do those things again. Or at least, not in the same state. Here's what I'm talking about.

1. Travel the world

How many times in your life can you literally just pick up and leave and move to a foreign country? Probably never. Studying abroad in college or backpacking during a gap year is a common trend for young people. I mean why not? We have nothing to lose.

Go run to Italy and fall in love with a pop star, Lizzie Maguire. You're awesome and you know it!

2. Reinvent yourself

Want to make a change? Are you bored? Literally, reinvent yourself. Do it, and don't look back. Yes, you can do this as an adult, but it is much more difficult to completely change everything about yourself.

The way you talk, act, who you surround yourself. Pick up and start over. Why? Because you can.

Don't like who your friends are? Change them. Don't like where you are living? Move. Create an entirely new version of you and thank yourself later.

You're young. You may have been hurt once or twice, but you have nothing to lose. If you aren't happy, do everything in your power to make yourself happy. Now, why wouldn't you want to do that?

3. Fall in love (A lot)

DO IT. Foolishly fall in love as much as you can. You're young and have so much to learn from the world and from people. Dedicate some time and really get to know someone. Have so much fun with the person you truly love. And maybe they'll leave. But that's cool because you can do it again! You have zero obligations to a husband or child for a short time in your life, so go and get to know someone that you can look back and smile at when you are old and gray.

On the other end of the spectrum, fall in love with something, big time. An idea, an art, a sport, a place. And LIVE for it. Learn to love a million things and find out information about yourself you didn't know existed. Because this foundation will make you the successful adult you dream of being, you rockstar you.

4. Lack of _______, and you're fine

Sleep? Eating? Relaxing? Have a lack of something, no worries girl, you bounce back fast. To be honest, sometimes I wonder how I can go to sleep at 3 a.m. after a night in Club Lib and be ready to conquer once again the next day at 9. Our energy levels are high, and we can get away with pretty much anything nowadays. But I can guarantee this won't last for long, so make the most of that endurance, kiddos!

5. Make dumb errors

Now let's not go crazy here. But being young and dumb is a combo you actually only get a certain amount of years to fulfill. Go kiss random people and stay out until 8 a.m. before your 8:30 class. Sneak out. Sit in parking lots and talk for hours with your friends who will love you in your dumbest errors. How lucky are you to be able to be young and dumb? Make the most of it, because this won't fly when you begin #adulting.

Just because you're young doesn't mean you get to go crazy. But it does mean that you have some allotted time to make some beautiful and fond memories to have in your rear-view mirror. Make the most of it!