When You're A Ravenclaw And Best Friends With A Gryffindor

Diving in and taking a deeper look at the unique bond between two Hogwarts houses that are polar opposites.

3895

Listen, I don't know about you and your best friend, but my best friend and I take our Hogwarts houses very seriously. "Harry Potter" is an essential part of our friendship, even though we don't talk about it much - it basically helped define what to expect out of each other.

Normally, people look to horoscopes or whatever else kind of "fortune telling" they could think of in order to know what to expect out of their partner, but why do that when you can have them take a Sorting Hat quiz on Pottermore? I noticed Hogwarts houses tend to be more accurate about a person more than any other test I've ever seen.

When I found out my best friend Lily was a Gryffindor, it not only surprised me (considering she was an actual cinnamon roll I thought she would be a Hufflepuff), but it told me a lot about how she truly was a person, what she valued and what her overall ambitions were. As time went on, it started to make more and more sense, and I wouldn't see her any other way.

Through the eyes of a Ravenclaw, a Gryffindor's polar opposite, I watched a pattern with my best friend that became a reoccuring theme with others in her same house. I took notes of what I observed, and I wrote them down below in snippets from various post-it pads in my bedroom. Confirm or deny it all you want, but the strange dynamic of a Ravenclaw-Gryffindor frienship isa very unique bond that oddly works and many find it to be very, very true.

It is, anyway, to me.

- The Ravenclaw overthinks every single situation and discovers every possible outcome. The Gryffindor wings it, diving right in and hoping the odds are in their favour.

- The Gryffindor hardly does their work, and often procrastinate it to the last minute. The Ravenclaw urges that they get started, since they were already done with the assignment as soon as it was handed to them. The Gryffindor shrugs, and the Ravenclaw feels second-hand anxiety.

- The Ravenclaw plans their events carefully, following a schedule that would have a nice flow to things. The Gryffindor decides that planning events and following a schedule was for suckas.

- The Ravenclaw is concerned about safety in regards to an activity the Gryffindor wants to do. The Gryffindor doesn't know what safety means, even if they just read the definintion in a dictionary.

- The Gryffindor and Ravenclaw make a ground-breaking team. The Ravenclaw would think of an idea, and the Gryffindor would dive right into the project, and their end result would be better than everybody else's.

- The Gryffindor has a lot of power when it comes to convincing. Sometimes, the Ravenclaw will finally give in to doing something stupid because of their best friend.

- The foundation of their friendship is clever and (equally bad) puns.

- Sometimes, the two don't understand a single thing about each other, but they try to rationalise it and be open minded to what their best friend may be struggling with, even if it doesn't make sense to them.

- R: "There's like a 99 percent chance that's not going to work."

G: "I guess I'm that one percent."

R: "That's not how it works."

- Even though the Ravenclaw may not want their best friend to do something reckless, that doesn't mean they won't help in whatever way they can.

- The Gryffindor would wonder how to do something a certain way, and the Ravenclaw would come up with an ingeniously creative solution to it.

- The biggest weirdos anyone has ever seen. The Ravenclaw sees no harm in being strange, and the Gryffindor loves being bold with the crazy things they want to do.

- Screaming into the void at three in the morning.

- Really intellectual conversations just before screaming into the void. The Gryffindors may be reckless, but they are not stupid.

- The Ravenclaw is a living, breathing, incarnate of autocorrect. The Gryffindor learned to snap the corrections back with factual counterarguments.

- Existential Crisis buddies.

- They take the coolest, cutest and most liked selfies.

- Pranking each other is a normal part of their day to day routine. Don't question it, just try not to get caught in the crossfire.

- They overreact together. The Ravenclaw tries not to freak out much, but when they do, the Gryffindor panics. Their panic feeds off each other, and it escalates into mass chaos generated by two people.

- They don't need anything fancy or extravagent. Simple gifts from the heart mean the world, and all they truly want is each others' company.

- Rule-breaking captains. The Ravenclaw didn't like being reckless, this didn't mean that they were uptight rule-followers either. Screw the rules. That attitude mixed with the Gryffindor's flair for attention is just as bad as the Weasley twins. Maybe, in some cases, worse.

- The Gryffindor tends to be liked by others better than the Ravenclaw. It's not that the Ravenclaw is unlikeable, it's just that they don't care about what others think of them and they do what they want. Therefore, the people around them don't like that they aren't blind sheep like the status quo. This doesn't mean the Gryffindor doesn't do what they want either, but they most certainly have a special pizazz to their actions that makes others gravitate to them.

- The Gryffindors lounging about and being lazy is a norm, but the Ravenclaws make them get up and do things.

- They hype each other up like nobody's business. And after it's all said and done, they brag about each other for weeks on end.

- The Ravenclaw is an extreme perfectionist and they're their worst critics on themselves. The Gryffindor has to constantly remind that them they're okay and that it isn't the end of the world.

- They balance each other out better than any Hogwarts pairing. The only exception would be the Slytherin and Hufflepuff, and that's only because they balance each other just as well as their counterparts.

In the end, the Gryffindors and the Ravenclaws make the best of friends. Nobody can truly name a more dynamic duo, and they always are evolving together. They're goals, easy as that.