When You're Not A Senior But You're Ready To Graduate

Like everything, college fizzles out.
215

During spring semester, seniors always take to social media to talk about how they are not ready to leave. Be it because of love for their school or fear for what's beyond it, nobody ever seems ready to leave college. And that's probably a good thing, because that means you've had the time of your life here and you've picked the right place to find yourself.

But I don't think I'm going to be one of those people. I don't think I'll be posting or thinking about how I'm not ready to leave. And once I'm gone, I don't think that I'll long to go back and be the person I was when I was in college. Because even though I'm not yet a senior, and even though I truly love my school, I'm ready to leave.

Like everything, college fizzles out. What used to be the biggest taste of freedom doesn't feel novel anymore. The ability to go out to bars and drink and try all sorts of new things you couldn't do when you lived at home loses its luster. As you go on, you start to realize there may be better things out there than a frat party and a nasty hangover the next morning.

As I dive into my major, I think of all the possibilities that lie ahead for myself in my career. As I become more independent, I think of how nice it will be to come home to my apartment with a dog and the love of my life and not have to worry about an upcoming exam or assignment that has nothing to do with what I'm passionate about. I picture myself in the future, a career woman, a wife, a mom, and all of those things strike me as far more appealing than being where I am now. And that isn't to say I hate where I am now, its simply to say that I just look forward to where I'll be next even more.

I am not trying to wish my life away, and I don't think my desire to move on from college life is indicative of being at a school that is not right for me. I have made friendships and memories that will last a lifetime. I met the love of my life here, and found the things I'm passionate about. I believe this place has made me into a brilliant and strong, compassionate and kind human. And I'm ready to use those traits this place has given me in the real world. I just feel impatient to get around to doing so.

I have always believed college shouldn't be the best 4 years of your life, because if they were, they didn't fulfill their purpose. College is supposed to give you the people, the education and the tools to go out into the world and make every single year better than the last. That's not to say you shouldn't look back at your time at school as amazing and memorable. But if post-grad you is constantly looking back with longing, I don't think college served its purpose.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to soak up every second of college. I'm not bashing those who don't want to leave, or those who are their happiest self right where they are. I'm simply not, and that's okay. We all move on at our own pace, mine just happens to be a year too fast.

I am simply ready to take all I've learned and all I am out into the real world and make a difference. I am ready to take all college has given to me and put it right back into the world. But since I have to wait, I will learn more and be even better when I'm finally there.