When You’re Empty

When You’re Empty

The place where hidden blessing waits

33
When You’re Empty
Pexels.com

When you’ve tried to be strong …

When you try to keep loving others …

… and you’re empty …

What do you do then?

Unnerving Truth

It’s a scary feeling to look within and find emptiness.

We’re so used to seeing life’s accomplishments, our own dreams and hopes, the compliments we receive, the kindness we give others, or even our own shortcomings. So when you turn your gaze inward and see nothing, it’s unnerving.

We’re tempted to dig deeper. To find those little gems of meaning that make you “you.” But even those cannot satisfy.

A Hidden Blessing

And that’s where the hidden blessing of emptiness waits.

There is truth in the gnawing ache.

I’m not enough.

I am weak.

I don’t have love to give.

But …

God’s grace is sufficient (2 Cor. 12:9).

God’s strength is shown when I am weak.

God’s own Love flows through me, for I’m simply a channel (Rom. 5:5).

My Strength… or His?

We don’t like it when life presses us until we have nothing left.

But that is where grace works miracles. We truly have no strength or love left to give... but He does.

And God delights to take us into His arms and pour His Spirit into us.

It may take rock-bottom for us to learn…

You were never meant to do life on your own.

It isn’t up to you to be a wonderful friend.

It isn’t up to me to be a loving sister.

It isn’t up to us to be exemplary Christians.

It is up to God to show His splendor.

He just happens to choose us. He chooses to redeem us, to make us His own dear sons and daughters (1 Pet. 2:9). He chooses to fill us with His Spirit so that it is not our own strength at work but His instead (Col. 1:27-28)!

Chosen Weakness

He chooses the weak things of the world to confound the wise (1 Cor. 1:27).

I know that’s why He’s chosen me.

I am so keenly aware of my weakness. I often wondered why Jesus would want a little thing as weak and fearful as I am. Now I know! I can never boast of my natural strength; it doesn’t exist. However, I can boast of His (Jer. 9:24).

And times of weakness remind me of His strength in me.

For, when I am weak, then I am strong (2 Cor. 12:10).

When I wait upon the Lord, His strength carries me on eagles’ wings (Isa. 40:31).

When I am empty… my Jesus fills me, and I know that it can be nothing besides Him.