When Your Roommate Is Also Your Best Friend

Hopefully, they're as great as mine.

2
Courtesy of the author.

Starting off college as a freshman is scary for a few reasons and not knowing your roommate other than a few texts or Facebook messages can be scary. You don't really know who you are going to be living with since people are always different from text to in person. I know many people that have horror stories from their first to all roommates they have been paired with. Hopefully, along the way you'll find a friend or classmate you are compatible to live with. I did and now we will be furthering our living-together to sharing an apartment.

It took me a year and two roommates to find my third that was the fit for me. Despite coming from very different worlds we couldn't be better to live with each other. We listen to the same genres (mostly) of music, can handle each other's levels of cleanliness and also became partners for the gym, dinner, and going out. My roommate has become one of my best friends and I consider myself lucky.

I still hear of people living with randoms they were paired with at random. They don't get along and I don't understand how they can continue to live in discomfort. I would suggest that these people find a friend to live with, try to understand/bond with whom they've been put with, or get a room to yourself.

And a thank you to my Roomie,

Thank you so so so much for being just as crazy as me. For listening to me complain about stupid boys and agreeing as well as giving me good advice. Thank you for being my gym partner and dinner date. I appreciate you making it noticeable when you're annoyed with something I've done or said. Thanks for letting me drag you along to few family events or weird adventures. Thanks for giving me a slightly new view of the world. A huge thank you for being able to communicate through looks and raised eyebrows. For making me feel guilty when you're doing your school work when I should also be doing mine. Thank you for getting me hooked on "One Tree Hill" and still letting me watch my superhero shows, I mean it is my Netflix account, anyway. Thank you for helping me pick out outfits and clothes to buy.Thank you for being excited and planning holidays and outfits with me and letting me go crazy with our makeup. Thank you for pushing me when I need it and telling me what I need to hear instead of what I want to hear. And a huge thanks for sticking together on all the iffy and sticky decision. Here's to a few more years of being F-squared. Hopefully, this friendship will continue and age well, like the wine we can't afford.