A Prayer For When Your Plan Isn't Working

Sometimes when we are in a state of loss.

19
allwomentalk

I was driving home from Houston today and in my 4-hour drive I had a lot of time to think. I realized that all weekend my aunt and uncle were asking me what I was going to do after graduation. I kind of have a plan but will need to have it tweaked just a little bit. Then I realized, I have this "plan" but let's be honest, I don't have a clue what I am going to do after graduation. I know that without a doubt that I will have to go to graduate school to get my master's in something other than what I really want to do. I still don't even know where I am going to attend graduate school. It's now just one more thing to add to the list.

As I was driving, I kept thinking of all of the scenarios that I think will work but with my imagination, I end up thinking I'll become a millionaire and live on a beach in Greece. Sounds reasonable right? I think so. Hear me out for a second. I graduate with my undergraduate degree in August, I live at home, a boyfriend who lives 5,000 miles away and no real plan. Here's the catch, I do have a plan. I have God's plan and His plan is far better that I could ever imagine. I caught myself speeding because of the anxiety of overthinking made me speed yet as soon as I realized God's plan for me, this peace just came over me. I began to pray and not only did I pray for me, I prayed for every recent and soon to be a college graduate. I want you to hear my prayer.

Dear Heavenly Father,

I come before you right now because I'm lost. Not really because Siri is taking me home but spiritually. Lord, I don't know what to do with my life and quite frankly I don't know what you want me to do. I know that I haven't been the daughter you have wanted me to be lately and I realize that. I am truly sorry. I have been finding myself accepting your blessings and never saying Thank You. So thank you.

Lord, I know you have this amazing planned out for me but right now, I just see a corner of it and I want to see the whole picture. When can I see it? Why do I have to wait so long? Oh, I know why I'm being impatient and you want me to be patient. Lame. Anyway. Lord, I am about to graduate and I am needing you to move through me. I will trust in you as you show me the way. You tend to have a sense of humor with me but I am excited for you to show me what you have in store.

I pray for the college graduates now and the ones graduating with me. They are just like me right now in their life. We are all in a state of not knowing what we should do and how we should do it. Please show them like you are showing me. Allow us to take your Word and let it seep into us as we listen for your next lesson. Allow us to show the world that we are yours and our plans were designed specifically for us to serve you. Please remove the negative people in our life and replace them with ones who not only serve you but push us closer to you. I ask that you open our hearts and our minds to be filled by you. Replace negative thoughts with your thoughts of love, forgiveness, peace and understanding. Lord, show us the way so we may further your kingdom.

In your precious name, I pray,

Amen.

I wanted to share this prayer today because sometimes when we are in a state of loss, we just need a prayer to remind us where we came from and who we are serving. This isn't the exact same prayer but it will do. Becoming an adult is hard but it is so much easier when God is leading you the way.