When Your Parents Come To Visit

When Your Parents Come To Visit

A brief tale of what it's like when your parents visit you while you're in college.

22
When Your Parents Come To Visit
Kavita MacDonald-Strong

Your parents are planning to visit you at your college. If you're anything like me, you have a very busy schedule so instead of preparing for their visit, you've been doing school work, extracurriculars, etc. But the day of their arrival is swiftly approaching. You should do some laundry, make your bed, and hide anything the parental units won't approve of. You should also probably take the trash out since it's been emitting a strange odor for the past few days, but you honestly couldn't be bothered to take it to the dumpster. Also your room needs to be swept... Since when did it get so dirty?? And what's that weird stain on the sink? How long has that bowl been sitting there??? You might be starting to get stressed at this point. You don't want your parents to think you've been living in filth since they dropped you off at school. (Even if you have been, they don't need to know that...)

Fast-forward to the day of their arrival. Again, if you're anything like me, you will run into your dorm minutes before they are supposed to get there and frantically start cleaning. And if you're as lucky as I am to have wonderful friends, they will come and help you. One person will be sweeping, another making the bed, all while you are frantically picking up and stuffing things away in the closet, in drawers, and under the bed to at least make it look organized.

Seconds after you finish doing the most thorough and quickest cleaning of your life, your parents will arrive. There will be tons of hugs and hellos and even more hugs. Then you'll walk them up to your dorm room, introduce them to your friends you see along the way, and eventually get to your room. They will probably look around, maybe meet your roommate, and see the space you've been living in.

Your parents, if they are anything like mine, will bring you groceries or take you grocery shopping. They will also take you out to eat. Which is the most wonderful thing after living off of a steady diet of cafeteria food, coffee, fast food, and ramen. Eat all the good, nutritious, real food you can while with your parents.

You are going to show your parents around campus and show them all your favorite places. You will introduce them to your friends and hope no one says anything embarrassing about you. You'll probably tell them how well you are doing in all your classes, even if you aren't doing all that well.

Most importantly, you will be happy to see your parents. Even though you are moved out and living on your own, you still need your parents. And you will be so happy to get to see them and have them take care of you while.