When Your Best Friend Is Far, Far Away

When Your Best Friend Is Far, Far Away

When your other half is home.

19
When Your Best Friend Is Far, Far Away
Jillian Whirley i

My best friend and I had planned on going to college together our whole lives. We would get a cute little house, take all the same classes and have the best time in the world. What could beat that? It would be like a girl’s night every night. When senior year came to a close, all of our plans fell through. I knew that I should take this time to venture out and get to know myself, but I had no idea how hard this would be without my best friend by my side.

When my mom was helping me pack to move, she would try to say encouraging things like “You’ll find a friend for a lifetime at college.” I remember thinking about my best friend since elementary school... I didn’t need to find a friend for a lifetime. I had already found her. When I got to college, all of the girls I met were talking about finding their bridesmaids and I didn’t relate to this because I already knew who my bridesmaids would be. I was scared to make friends because there was a friend that I loved with all of my heart back home, and I didn’t want her to feel abandoned or betrayed.

Then I remembered a quote that my high school English teacher would often recite, “Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver, and the other is gold.” I realize now how true this is, since I have finally allowed myself to have some fun and make some new friends. This doesn’t mean I’ve missed my hometown best friend any less though; in fact, I seem to miss her more and more every day. Here are five conversations that we still have regularly.

1. “How could you do this to me?”

I get this at least once a month from my faraway best friend. Whether she is forced to hang out with our high school "frenemies" or attends family obligations alone, she is quick to point out, “If you hadn’t left me, my life wouldn’t suck.”

2. “Will you call me with a fake emergency? New people are trying to talk to me.”

When I first started college, I used this multiple times. Someone, please tell me that I am not the only one who is this socially awkward. Either way, I can always count on her to come up with an extravagant excuse. Usually the excuse goes something like this, “Will you come take me to the hospital? I just broke my leg at the grocery store.”

3. “Can I FaceTime you for the third time today?”

This one is self-explanatory, or maybe I’m an obsessive best friend.

4. “Who is that girl you’re taking pictures with on Snapchat?”

I get more jealous of my best friend being with other girls than I do my boyfriend. I’ve been by her side for 18 years, and there is no room for other girls here. Bye.

5. “When are you coming home?”

This is the tear-jerking question that ends all of our phone calls. “As soon as I can. I promise.”