When You Objectified Me

When You Objectified Me

One thing that truly hasn't changed.

6
When You Objectified Me
YouTube

It's 9:30 at night.

My boyfriend and I wanted some ice cream, and whipped cream for the pumpkin pie we made together. We went to Walmart, and I saw you two. You both were loud and saying volatile things as it is, and naturally, I grab my boyfriend's hand to give him the signal I felt uneasy. We didn't make eye contact, I looked straight ahead keeping conversation with Noah. I saw you from the corner of my eye scan me up and down, and say "nice ass, bitch."

"Nice ass, bitch."

When you objectify me, does it make you feel good? Does it fulfill a hole in your heart, or does it just create a certain euphoria that you made a human being uncomfortable? Does it make laugh seeing my face sink, and my heart travel to my stomach, because I don't know what to do or say?

I'll tell you what it makes me, and so many other people feel. It makes us feel frustrated and violated. I am not your object. I am not your toy. I am not a sex symbol. I am a human being, and you are not allowed to speak to anyone like that. When you say, "Nice ass, bitch", did you expect me to turn around and swoon? Did you want my attention, because you sure as hell got it, but I have to turn the other cheek. So many people have to put up and shut up about it. Well, I've had enough. Your objectifying is toxic and I will not tolerate it. I refuse to be engulfed in any of your sexual fantasies and desires, because I am NOT interested.

No matter what your gender identity is, you are by NO obligation allowed to speak to another human being so disgustingly. In addition, no matter what your gender identity is, you do no have to be silent about it. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. There comes a point and time where enough is enough. And I'm not just saying this because it happened to me recently. I say this because I know it's something that'll never stop if we don't do something about it. We need to teach people boundaries, consent, and RESPECT. I'm not sure who said that it was okay to whistle, honk, or say sexually vulgar things to a person, but they don't have the right idea.

If people want a progressive world, it needs to start with putting this objectifying bullshit to an end. No one deserves to feel this uncomfortable in their own skin.