When You Give A Girl A Grandpa, She Gets...

You fill her heart with happiness.

3054
Jessica Schmidt

Just a couple weeks ago, I lost my grandpa. It has been a tragic, heartbreaking time in my life. However, in the midst of desperately missing him in my life, I wanted to reflect on how much he blessed it. My life surely wouldn't have been as great as it is if I hadn't had him in it for as long as I did.

Because when you give a girl a grandpa, she gets...

1. A Confidant

I could always tell him everything, and I knew it would stay between us. He really was the best listener I have ever met, whether I was ranting and sad or excited and joyous. I knew he would sit back and listen, always offering the best advice when I needed it.

2. A Jokester

Because let's be honest, who is funnier than your grandpa? No one? That's what I thought... Well, no one was funnier than my grandpa — that's for sure! I always found myself laughing around him. Whether it was one of his classic jokes, an inside joke, or just the hilarious fact that he loved to talk during movies (but not in the annoying kind of way — I could never help but laugh!), he could always crack a smile on your face. He upped the jokester game when he discovered Snapchat filters, though! Nothing can beat him trying out the big-mouth-smile filter!!

3. A Lifesaver

He really did anything and everything for me! He helped me out of some of the most annoying situations. I remember in high school I had promised the club I was president of food — guess who rushed out to get it so I could have it by lunch?? Yup, that would be my amazing grandpa. And another time, he drove like four hours with me, totally on a whim, to make me feel more confident about driving such a long-distance. He never failed to be there for me when I needed him most.

4. A Biggest Fan

I always wanted him to be there for my college graduation because I know he would have been one of my biggest fans in the audience. Every article, essay, and story that I sent him was returned with nothing but comments of love. When I started college, struggling to find my way, he always made sure to send me texts of encouragement. When I told him of good comment from a professor on a paper or about an A on a test, he congratulated me, and I knew I wanted to get an A on the next test to make him proud once more. He always believed in me, way more than I've ever believed in myself. He was practically my own personal motivational-speaker, and I will forever be grateful for the love and congratulations and assurances for a better tomorrow that he always sent me. I plan to continue to do my best, in order to keep making him proud.

5. A Best Buddy

My Grandpa Bud was truly my best buddy, the truest best friend I'd ever had. I've had a lot of best friends come and go, but he never left my side. Ever since I could remember, I saw him every weekend. We would go out to dinner on Fridays, breakfast on Sundays. Sometimes we would go to the movies, one of his favorite pastimes, and sometimes we would just watch a TV show we both love. Other times, we would discuss a book we both read. He even bought me a book bag at the library when I was younger so we could go check out books together. Whether it was dinner or breakfast, TV or books or movies, we would have a blast. Because we were best friends. He was my biggest fan. He was my lifesaver. He was a jokester. He was my confidant.

And he might be gone now, but the impact he made on my life will forever live on. He will forever be in my heart, which he filled with abundant happiness. Because when God gave me a Grandpa Bud, he gave me a blessing that will last forever. He gave a girl a very best friend.