Poetry On Odyssey: When You Came Knocking

I greeted you triumphantly.

75
pexels.com

When you came knocking at my door with his hand outstretched I was forced into your grasp and you swept me away as the door slammed shut.

When you soared through my window in the middle of the night and whispered in my ear that you would always with me, I wiped the sleep from my eyes and drifted back to sleep with your ghastly voice ringing in my ears.

When you knocked me off my feet and bound me to my bed, I tried to claw my way out but could not escape no matter how tattered-the sheets had become.

When you called me on the phone I answered but my voice was drowned out by meniacal laughter and a stench on your breath that wafted into my nose and left me feeling sick.

When you paid me a visit and told me we needed to talk, I painted on a smile ground from lipstick and coffee and met you when you arrived.

When you told me I’d never escape his grasp, I laughed. I stared you straight in the eyes, pupils piercing through mine, and told you...

Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

I’m here, and will be free of you forever.