When You Are Feeling Lost: This Is For You

A couple of reminders letting you know that you're a fricken gem.

20
Alyssa Martinez

As someone who struggles with so much about myself and my life, I seem to find solace in writing whether it be written in whimsical rhyme patterns or in stream-of-consciousness. Some days I find myself soaking my pillow with tears reading my favorite poetry, but it is not always sadness; it is mostly relief, realizing that life is just a cycle of various emotions that create the person you are meant to be, realizing that the style of my hair, the curves of my body nor the blemishes of my skin have nothing to do with who I am and what I am capable of accomplishing, realizing that no one, not even that boy in class with his emerald eyes could falter my soul. Because you know what, I am goddamn great and so are you.

Here are few of my favorite poems that I tend to gravitate towards when I forget that I have a purpose in this world:

"I know some nights it's hard and the silence is deafening and your heart beats echo off the walls and sobs stick to your chest like peeling wallpaper. You're barely holding yourself together. I know your tongue is sometimes glued to the roof of your mouth and you have to stop blinking for a moment because one blink could cause every emotion you've been trying to hide to rush out of your eyes. I know there are times when you can't speak; your voice is buried somewhere in your stomach. I know sometimes you can't breathe; your lungs are having a hard time breathing in oxygen for it fears it will be another bad toxin you so often inhale. But things do get better. And one day your bones won't feel so heavy, your eyelids will lift with ease, and smiling won't feel like splitting apart cement." (Source: instagram: i.n.k)

"You're so afraid to live, why are you so afraid? You are constantly swallowing glass and tiptoeing on thorns and apologizing for all the blood you lost in the process. Don't you ever get tired of coughing up shards of your broken reflection and wincing at every misstep? Breathe in hurricane winds; laugh until people mistake you for an earthquake. When will you realize that you're not some light drizzle of rain? You are a goddamn thunderstorm. (Source: instagram: g.h)

"I remember when the world broke in / to rip apart my soul / For years after that one event / I thought myself not whole / My hours were spent with trying / to fix it up with tape and glue / Until one day I discovered / Everyone else was broken too / Here we were with pieces / Of ourselves in both our hands / So fragile and so open / That I began to understand/ Maybe I'd been greedy / to want my soul all to myself / When it could be a lot more helpful / In the palms of someone else / Now every time I go somewhere / I leave part of me behind / And collect all of the pieces / Of others' souls that I can find / So when I'm meeting someone new / It's not just me they get / But also tiny fragments / Of all the others that I've met / And my life's become much bigger / Now that it's home to things so small / And if this is what "broken" means / I do not mind at all" (Source / Instagram: thepoeticunderground)

"It's the moments when it's darkest / Like one long eternal night / That it's of the most importance / To turn your face into the light / But this you must remember / If it's the last thing that you do / Sometimes the light is outside / But sometimes the light is you" (Source/ Instagram: thepoeticunderground)

"You are not a mundane sentence. You are not deserving of punctuation and there are no words complex enough to describe you. Humans are constantly compared to the universe; to beautiful simple things like stars and sun rays and rain. But you are far greater than all of this. We are beautiful, tragic beings who create things that heal and destroy. You are a paradox; hurting the ones you love to save them and saving them by inflicting pain. The world has always been a confusing place and you are a walking contradiction. So I won't simplify your eyes by comparing them to oceans. I won't, because you are not a mundane sentence and all anyone has ever done is confine you to the spaces between their words. I want you to live beyond this. The stars are confined to the sky and you are confined to the injustice of words." (Source / Instagram: g.h)