The Florida Shooting: When Does It End?
Politics

The Florida Shooting: When Does It End?

The violence that plagues our nation.

380
The Florida Shooting: When Does It End?
Unsplash

There is nothing more heart breaking than turning on the news and seeing the words “school shooting” pop up on the screen.

Instead of being a rare tragic event, it has become an all too common headline. Valentines day, a day of love was turned into a day of tragedy as 17 children were shot to death attending school. 17 parents unknowingly said their last “I love you” and gave their children their last hugs. 17 innocent children lost their lives because of a mentally ill teenager having access to weapons. 17 daughters and sons, 17 neighbors, 17 brothers and sisters, 17 friends lives were cut short.

Who is next?

How many more people have to be killed before Congress steps up and fixes the gun violence problem. Guns do kill people; guns destroy lives, families, and communities. Heartbreak and solitude plague the nation for days, even weeks after these events. People post on social media begging and pleading for Congress to help, but nothing shifts their indifference. Their indifference has allowed for people to be killed.

What has to happen before it stops? My sisters attend school and everyday I fear I will have said my last goodbye. School is a safe environment to learn, but it has become a place which breeds fear in it’s walls.

Alyssa Alhadef, Scott Biegel, Nicholas Dworet, Martin Anguiano, Aaron Feis, Jaime Guttenburg, Chris Hixon, Luke Hoyer, Cara Loughran, Gina Montalto, Joaquin Oliver, Alaina Petty, Meadow Pollack, Helena Ramsay, Alex Schachter, Carmen Schentrup, and Peter Wang all had dreams and aspirations they will never be able to achieve because our government has failed to protect them.

Families have been torn apart and broken. Sadly, this is not the first time, nor is it the last. As citizens, we elect members to government because we trust they will fix the problems that plague our society, instead they sit with their thumbs in their mouth. Democrats and Republicans alike should both value human life, instead they watch everyday as someone new robs people of their life. Where is the humanity in that?

Of course it is a lot more complex than it may seem, but they have failed to fulfill their duties as government officials. We need to work towards a solution, not stand by and wish things didn’t happen. Thoughts and prayers do not stop killing, policy and change does. My heart goes out to all those affected by this terrible event, you are all in my prayers.