When The Universe Gives You A Sign, Listen To It

Trust me.

37
Sierra

Do you ever just feel like the universe is trying to tell you something?

I feel like sometimes I’m completely obliviously to these signs. Looking at past relationships, I definitely know that’s true. It’s like the universe needs to write it in MLA format and shove it under my door or write it in all capital letters on a chalk board for me to see it. But I definitely do believe that at certain points in your life, or when you are going through a bad experience, the world kind of wants to cheer you up.

Say you’ve been scrolling through Facebook and you see another upsetting political post, or you’ve gotten a bad grade on an easy. If there is something, anything, that impacts your life negatively, we tend to think even more negative. We then begin to get stuck in this “rut” where we feel like we can’t have a day when someone goes right. Each passing day something else happens, building more stress, and more thinking of “What the hell did I do wrong?” or “What did I do to the world to piss it off?” And it seems like it never continues.

But then, a small thing occurs. Whether it be the sun peeking out of the clouds on a dreary day or it’s a text from a loved one that gives you a small smile. I think that’s the world trying to tell us that things will get better soon.

Recently, I have been noticing something interesting.

I feel as though the universe is sending me a very strong sign. Like many people, I have tattoos. Each of my tattoos has a meaning for me. One of the somewhat recent tattoos I got was in June of 2016; I had gotten the phrase “Come What May” on my inner bicep. If anyone watches musicals, then you may know “Moulin Rouge” which is in my top 3 favorite musicals. My favorite song from this musical is called “Come What May.” When I first heard this song, I cried. If you’ve seen the movie, you will understand why. But this slowly became my favorite love song. The main male role, Christian, and the main female role, Satine, sing this song to each other as a way to let each other know that they will always love each other, no matter what happens. It is sang again at the end of the film, which made me cry even more (don’t worry I won’t spoil the ending). It just made my heart feel so full and gave me a big sense of hope.

I am an English major, and my ultimate favorite thing to read has always been Shakespeare. I understood his plays so much better than other things read in high school. My junior year, we read Macbeth. And it became my favorite play. I loved how different this was then from the other plays we had read. Don’t get me wrong, I am the typical fan and love Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but there was just something about Macbeth that captured my attention the entire time. I think it had something to do with Lady Macbeth but that’s beside the point. There was a common phrase in this play that I picked up on; “Come What May.” And at that point, this phrase was engraved in my head. And it has stayed with me since high school. So, I figured why not get it engraved on my body as well. It gives me so much hope and it is a constant reminder that I can take on anything life throws at me.

Within these past few weeks, I will admit that I have been super stressed likely, like every other college student. I have been letting it get to me and it’s been lessening my motivation to do my work. One day, sitting and eating food on campus, I opened up my phone and found that I still had the iBook version of Macbeth still saved on my phone from high school. I instantly smiled and started reading it again. It brought back so many happy feelings and memories. And as I read, I saw how many times this phrase I permanently have on my body appeared, and the different variations of it there was. Then I went to go see Moana. And let me just say, it is one of the best Disney films I’ve seen. My friends and I instantly became obsessed. We continuously listened to the soundtrack. But while I was watching the movie for the first time, the song “I Am Moana,” where she finally discovers herself, comes on, guess what phrase comes up in the song: “Come What May.” I instantly started to tear up. “Come What May,” in a Disney movie. I was so happy and it was such an interesting feeling to experience. And now, the most recent sign that happened. I went to see Beauty and the Beast with my best friend. It was done so beautifully. Josh Groban wrote an original song for this version, and it was a song that the Beast sings himself. I was already captivated by this song and scene because of the beautiful scenery and what was happening in this scene. And then, you’ve probably guessed what happened during this song; Beast sang “Come What May.” And yes, I cried; see the movie and you’ll get it. Even in modern TV shows I hear characters say this. And if that isn’t a sign then I don’t know what would be.

So, what’s my point with this? My point is “Come What May.” Let the stress come. Let the breakdowns happen. I dare the world to throw more challenges my way. Why? Because I can do anything I set my mind to. No matter what happens in my life, I know that I am strong enough to take it on and conquer it. I think that is what the universe is trying to tell me. That shitty things may be happening right now, and that’s okay. I have made it through everything else so far, so I can keep going and keep doing my best. So if you’re feeling depressed, stressed, like nothing is going right, take a breath. Listen to some music, take a nap, drink some water or tea, go for a walk even. Just take a step back and relax. Life is about having your ups and downs, high and lows. You just have to remember that at the end of every low, there is a guaranteed high point. Look towards that. And remember, Come What May.