We've all heard of it, but no one ever thinks it'll actually happen to them. More importantly, no one ever believes that it will happen as soon as the first week of sophomore year. Well start believing, because it can and it will. That's right, it's the sophomore slump, known not only for it's clever alliteration but also for it's uncanny ability to slip in right when you least want it to. Just when you think you know what the hell you are doing after your freshman year, sophomore year comes around and hits you with a pie in the face. I write this article knowing that while I am unable to offer more than a few words of understanding and some funny gifs, it's better than nothing. So here's a few gifs that represent not only what the sophomore slump looks like and how it feels, but also the thoughts going through your head.
1. Wait, I actually have to do the homework? Didn't I do enough homework last year!? When will the torture end?!"
2. "So I'm actually behind on my requirements, even though I've only taken requirements every semester? Oh yeah, don't worry about me I'm doing fine. FINE I SAID I'M FINE. "
3. "Yo, sophomore year kind of sucks. No one cares about us because we are not freshmen. Sophomores need love too you know. Just because I'm not completely clueless doesn't mean I know everything I'm doing. In fact, I really have no idea what I'm doing"
4. "So I thought I learned how to take care of myself freshman year but since I went home this summer I've forgotten everything! How do I do laundry again? How often do I need to change my sheets? For Pete's sake, I don't even remember how often I need to shower!"
5. "I can't decide which would be worse: me staying here for another three years or giving up now, moving back in with my parents and accepting my destiny for a career in the fast food industry."
Regardless of these sad, but funny, thoughts, it is important to never lose hope my fellow sophomores. It is only the first month, and I'm sure things will get worse before they get better. Just remember, you still have two more years of college before you have to face the real world! If that doesn't simultaneously make you feel better and worse, I don't know what will!