When Long Island Meets Clemson University

I would deliver bacon, egg and cheeses to everyone the next home game… straight from New Yawk!

226

You know how it goes. Your professor tells you a “fun fact” about them and then insist you do the same. “Say your first name, where you’re from, and something about yourself.” For me it usually goes something like this: Hi, I’m Taylor, I’m from Lawng Island, New Yawk, and blah blah blah...

I always choose to specify Long Island because, well, it’s not Manhattan, which no one seems to fully understand. It’s funny because “y’all” see New York and think it’s one big city. New Yorkers see New York as Manhattan, Long Island, Staten Island, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and of course every town that is home to a SUNY college (Oswego, Cortland, Albany etc).

Don't worry, we get it. You only visit New York for Manhattan, Montauk, or the Hamptons. Regardless, once you say you’re from New York you’re suddenly slightly more interesting. You get replies like, “OMG NO WAY!” “That’s so cool!” “What’s it like being from the city?” “I saw a play there once!” “Does it snow a lot?”

It is pretty cool being from New York, and yes, of course, I’ve seen a play, or ten. But, no, I don’t walk up the block and appear at Broadway. In fact, I’m not really a huge fan of the city. It’s fun to visit, but I also like being able to leave. That could have something to do with the endless construction, or being plowed over by a biker, who didn’t even break stride, OR say sorry!

Like I said I’m not from Manhattan, I’m from the best part of New York - Long Island. That’s completely biased, and I’m okay with it. When I pronounce Long Island, New York, it literally sounds like: Lawwng Islan, New Yawk. I never paid much attention to saying it like that, until now. People always want you to say it again, and now say “coffee.” Cawfee. Nothing weird about it.

It’s funny how no one knows how to deal with weather that strays from sunny, or cloudy. Ever hear the slogan, “Neither snow nor rain…” will stop USPS from delivering. Well, that’s the motto Long Islanders go by when going out for a bagel. Nothing, I mean nothing beats a Long Island bacon, egg and cheese on an everything bagel. If you can’t relate… you’re missing out.

Since I’m still in the midst of bagel withdrawal, I decided to finally try Hendrix’s Einstein’s Bagels. Let’s just say, other New Yorkers here have warned me about these bagels. But, hey, don’t knock it ‘till you try it, right? Here’s my professional bagel opinion - EH! I mean it was edible, it’s definitely better if it’s toasted, but it’s not an authentic bagel. Matter of fact, it tastes exactly like bagged bagels in the bread aisle at the supermarket. It’ll do for now. Beggars can’t be choosers.

It’s great down here, though. I mean who can complain about the endless options of fried chicken? New York needs to get with the program on that front. In 2015, NYC opened their first Chick-Fil-A. Thousands of people waited on line for hours for fried chicken! What were we waiting for? I’m wondering how everyone here isn’t 600 pounds from the endless chicken options? It’s too much temptation.

As we all know, Clemson is obviously the best university ever. The tailgates and football games absolutely contribute to the ‘hoorah’ of the school itself, if not the sole reason the school is awesome. The energy on campus during a home game is electric. The crowd, a sea of orange, fill the stands supporting their Tigers, rain or shine.

I take pride in being from LONG ISLAND, New York. It’s what made me, me. However, I have had no issue embracing the ‘southern way of life.’ If that includes spicy chicken sandwiches. It's been awesome so far here at Clemson, and I’m so grateful I get to spend my senior year here. In my dreams, if I could make one thing possible, I would deliver bacon, egg and cheeses to everyone the next home game… straight from New Yawk!