When in Denmark

When in Denmark

My time abroad

4
When in Denmark
Steph Fabry

These past two weeks, I was fortunate enough to travel abroad to Denmark, Germany and Sweden. For those of you who have never been to Europe, the initial step off the plane may overwhelm you. It is truly a different world; you aren’t in Kansas anymore.

Arriving in Copenhagen, I looked around and marveled at the exquisite European architecture. Every inch of this city was meticulously detailed. Nothing was superficial, but rather authentic. Every cobblestone (you most likely tripped over), every small café shop, and even every McDonald’s, had character to it. I found this experience to be a breath of fresh air.

For 11 days, I didn’t have to be American and shop at the same store, eat the same familiar food, and navigate my way quite easily through Milwaukee. For once, I could be the stranger in the foreign country and experience the other side. For once, I was stared at with crinkled eyebrows when I started speaking fluent English in cities that predominantly spoke other languages. And for once, I had to pull out my map of the city and meander aimlessly until I found my desired destination.

This time abroad opened my eyes to a different perspective and unique culture. Throughout my time there, I accumulated a list of important differences between Denmark and the United States in order to always remember this beautiful country.

1. Biking

For starters, the average person does not own a car, but rather a bike. Biking is extremely common in Copenhagen as bike lanes are boldly marked on each street to warn pedestrians for the sea of bikers that speed by. People take pride in riding their bikes and consequently spend a great deal of money on them.

2. Fashion

Ah yes, the infamous European style. It is true: Europeans dress themselves significantly better than the average American. There is no LuLuLemon — and if you were to walk around in baggy sweats and a t-shirt on the streets, you might attract a few condescending stares. They present themselves with utmost class and chic — even when riding a bike, they are seen wearing nothing less than a presentable blouse and nice jeans.

3. Restaurants — with blankets?

When the weather gets warmer towards summer, many restaurants and cafes move several tables and chairs outside for their guests to enjoy the beautiful weather. Consequently, almost every restaurant will give you the comfort of providing a warm blanket in case the nightfall approaches with a chilly breeze. Can you say convenient?

4. Starbucks

You may roll your eyes at this one, but I feel as if this is important to address for all you chocolate lovers out there. The Starbucks in Denmark has a notably higher quality treat selection than the Starbucks in the States. They have a various assortment of chocolate cakes, pies, muffins, cheesecake, etc. It was the perfect addition to my iced coffee, to say the least.

5. The Happiest Country in the World

According to Forbes’ list of “The World’s 10 Happiest Countries,” Denmark is listed as No. 1.

A crucial reason for this might have to do with the ‘free’ healthcare and ‘free’ education they receive. Don’t get me wrong, I do not want to delve into politics, but this is an interesting fact. Fifty percent of a Danish person’s income goes to the government in order to pay for this ‘free’ health care and education. Some might argue this as ridiculous, but I found it to be a possible correlation to the overall happiness in Denmark.

There you have it! My list could go on for pages for additional differences between Denmark and the United States, but I found these five to be valuable and mostly interesting. My time in Europe was moving and meaningful as I experienced a different culture other than my own and open my eyes to a new, beautiful country that has so much to offer the world.