What To Do When You Don't Know What To Do

Because we all get stuck sometimes.

2

This past year, I completed my first year of college. I was finally a big girl! I chose where I went, when I got there, and what company I kept. I was so excited to make new friends, become involved in different organizations and yes, see who I was away from mom and dad. I had an awesome year. I made lifelong memories, ended up with a 4.0 GPA, and I was even inducted into my school's Hall of Fame! It was nothing short of awesome.

But as we know, variety is the spice of life. Nothing stays the same forever.

There were days this past year I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. You've been there. Whether it was that first year of college, your new job or just an all-around long day. You were stressed out. You were upset. You were worried what others were thinking about you and the way you handled different situations. You didn't know how to make time for all of those activities you had shoved into your calendar. You didn't know what the next step was. Essentially, you forgot how to adult. Rest assured, everyone has days like this. I have days like these all the time--it's called Monday through Friday.

But seriously, what do we do when we just don't know what to do?

One of the first things I do is give myself a time out. Seriously. When I have absolutely no idea what to do, I take some time for myself.

It doesn't have to be an entire day or even an entire hour. It could be five minutes if that's all you've got. Put away your phone, turn off the T.V., and just take a breath. Now I know you're thinking, "But Connor... I didn't schedule in time to breathe until next Monday at 9:34 p.m. after "The Bachelorette."" Just try it! Cut out those distractions. Don't worry about how many likes your picture on Instagram is getting, what's for dinner or what the plans are for tomorrow. Just breathe.

I cannot stress this next one enough. When you don't know what to do, call mom!

I could not count the number of times I have called my mom just to talk things through. Whether you need advice on friendships, which classes to take or what you should order at Taco Bell, mom always comes through. She will be a constant encourager, your best listener and your biggest fan when you don't think you have any. So when in doubt, keep calm and call mom!

The most important thing I do when I don't know what to do is pray. Isn't that the simplest answer of them all? Pray. Yet for some reason, we make it so complicated. I promise that if there was one thing I learned my first year at college (aside from the fact that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell), it's that God knows what's up before I know what's up. There's a God in heaven that loves you unconditionally. So much so that He gave his life for you. So why wouldn't you just give your worries and cares to him? 1 Peter 5:7 says, "Casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you." Give it to God. He'll take care of you when you can't take care of yourself.

So the next time you're wondering what you do when you just don't know what to do, just remember--take a breath, call your mom and pray it out.

You don't have to worry about what comes next.