When Do I Become An Adult?

When Do I Become An Adult?

It does not come about in the form of a birthday...

34
When Do I Become An Adult?
Restless Pilgrim

Throughout different cultures and societies, the label of “adult” falls on individuals at various times in life. Sometimes, adulthood can be based off of circumstances, other times traditional ceremonies can announce the transition of boy to man or girl to woman, and there are also times where it’s just about an individual’s perspective. There are many role transitions that people encounter — making them feel as if they are an adult after completion. The three most common responsibilities taken on by individuals that make them feel as if they are officially grown up are found to be working and paying bills, moving out and getting married, and having children and taking care of them.

Getting a job is a tremendous accomplishment in life that comes with a lot of responsibility. To have a commendable job, one must also have adult-like qualities in order to, first, receive the position and, secondly, hold the position. “Those who become financially and emotionally independent, productive, hardworking, and responsible are considered ‘adult.’ (Klein 1990). Moreover, they themselves are expected to ‘feel like’ adults” (Aronson 1998). There is usually a reason why one will take on a job. It is usually to earn money, whether it be to save money for college, pay their own bills, or just to have money for a car and gas. All of these are found in the day-to-day life of most adults.

Marriage is a true marker of adulthood. In normal cases, it takes a mature individual to decide upon a partner that they want to share their life with. If they are not grown up yet, then the role of husband or wife will require the adult to come out of them. Being able to compromise is a trait that is found in mature individuals and most decisions made within the marriage involve it. While many adolescents choose to blow money on whatever will provide pleasure for the moment, the adult has to think ahead for the next car payment or grocery bill. Mom and dad aren’t there to hand over 20 dollars when needed anymore. Budgeting is an adult habit found in the marriage between two incomes — it is the basis for survival.

When a little one enters the picture, an adult is needed for them to be taken care of. Adolescents are given education on how to plan when a child will be placed in their care. It is the adult’s responsibility to take that education and apply it to their sexual life. Whether the child was planned or not, resources provided by an adult are needed to meet the needs of the infant. This usually requires a well paying job so that diapers, food, shelter, and a caregiver (if needed while at work) can be supplied. Meeting their basic needs is not all there is to being a parent though, their psychosocial needs must be given attention also. The adult must take the knowledge given to them and pass it down to their child. It takes an adult to know what is worth passing along and what is meant to be kept from the child so that they may be sheltered from the harsh things in life. Being a parent is probably the prime example of being an adult.

Some may say that individuals are adults when they begin a postsecondary education. This transition can be described as, “A new phase of ‘youth’ or ‘post adolescence’ has emerged, allowing youth in their mid-to-late twenties, and even older youth, to extend the pre-adult ‘moratorium’ of continued exploration. This youth phase is characterized by limited autonomy but continued economic dependence and concern about the establishment of adult identity.” (Keniston 1970; Coleman and Husen 1985; Buchmann 1989). Why do we call this adulthood when the adolescents are still in school just as they were before? In most cases, they bring home their dirty laundry on the weekends for their mom to do, and their dad still gives them cash every time they see him or her. Car maintenance, such as oil changes, are still taken care of by the parents and meals are cooked for them when they get home or are already prepared in the dining hall at school. So is it really fair for the title of adult to be put upon this age group? I argue that it isn’t. Just because the young individual is not under the same roof as their parents, does not mean that they have all of the responsibilities that an average adult takes on.

Adulthood is influenced by a variety of cultural and personal experiences. It is a large label that should not be handed out freely. Adulthood is not classified by a number but by a number of things. It should be felt by the individual, possessed by the individual through the displaying of adult-like qualities, and the responsibilities should be followed through by the individual.