What's A Bullet Journal?

What's A Bullet Journal?

This new creative organizational tool is gaining popularity
2025

So, what exactly is a bullet journal, and why is it trending all over the internet? The Bullet Journal (BuJo for short) website describes it as "an evolving, adaptable practice meant to be self curated as you determine what works best for you." While the original website includes guidelines and specific bullet symbols with various meanings from "task completed" to "this inspires me," bullet journals have taken on a life of their own.

Popular among young adults bloggers focusing on academics, scholastic pursuits, and organization (known as studyblrs on the blogging platform Tumblr), the bullet journal is a journal for, well, everything. Each two open-faced pages, commonly referred to as a 'spread' can include anything from a weekly schedule to an illustrated list of movies to watch in the future.

Some BuJo's are simple:

While others are more creative:

Pages can include schedules, to do lists, inspirational quotes, drawings, photos, stickers, checklists, artistic endeavors, and much more. Basically, it seems to be a combination of a planner, a diary, a sketchbook, a workout log, and scrapbook. It's all up to you! While starting from a blank notebook might seem intimidating, I like the idea that I can create all the content and organization exactly how I want it.

Could a Bullet Journal be the paper organization method we need in this digital age?