What Your Rho Gamma Wants You To Know

What Your Rho Gamma Wants You To Know

Wherever you roam, discover your true home.

560
What Your Rho Gamma Wants You To Know
Malayna Hasmanis

Formal Recruitment: the process in which women attend various events at sorority houses, culminating in bid day.

Rho Gamma: a recruitment advisor (upperclass woman) who has disassociated from her sorority in order to provide an unbiased opinion to those going through recruitment.

While prospective new members are spending their time agonizing over what to wear, what to talk about, and what sorority to choose, rho gams are ready to listen and offer advice. The majority of us have been through the same experiences that prospective new members are having, so we know how difficult it can be sometimes and we want to help in any way that we can.

One of the main overarching questions that is asked about our job is why we give up our letters for recruitment. We disaffiliate from our chapters because we want to be able to answer questions and give advice without swaying anyone’s decision or being biased. We don’t want every single girl going through recruitment to join our specific sorority, because we know that isn’t realistic. Each individual is different, just like each sorority on campus, so we simply want the girls to find their own home. Our job is to help everyone find that home, especially those who feel conflicted about their choices.

Your rho gams also want you to know that things don’t always turn out exactly how you want them to. Sometimes, you realize that you aren’t the right fit for a sorority you’ve been dreaming about since coming to college. Maybe you aren’t asked back to the one house you really loved. These moments can be frustrating, and we want for you to talk to us about them. We encourage you to continue through the recruitment process despite setbacks like these, because you never know what is coming your way. You may find your home when you least expect it.

One surefire way to ensure that you find that home is to be yourself at every recruitment event. The sorority members want to get a true sense of who you are before they invite you back, so don’t attempt to present a fake self. If you’re genuine, it’ll be hard for them not to have a good time talking to you. Presenting the best version of yourself will also help you determine whether you can see yourself as part of a given chapter, so it benefits both sides of the table.

Lastly, after this testing week, it is absolutely alright if you decide that you don’t want to continue the process. Though we will urge you to press on until the last night of recruitment, it is ultimately your decision whether you want to drop out or decline your bid. Not everyone is meant to be part of Greek life, and that’s okay. You can always go through recruitment the following year if you choose to do so and we will fully support your choice no matter what.

Your rho gammas are incredibly proud of you for deciding to go through formal recruitment. The process can be stressful or confusing at times, but if you confide in your rho gams you will find where you belong.