What You Need To Know About Therapy

What You Need To Know About Therapy

What's the big deal anyway?

982
What You Need To Know About Therapy

So what even is the deal with therapy, anyway? What the hell is it? What do you talk about? How do you find a therapist that's a good match?

Therapy is having your own personal cheerleader — someone who is in your corner, rooting for you and wanting the best for you.

How do I find a therapist I vibe with?

Google is your best friend. Search for therapists in your area, and search for one that takes your insurance so your mom doesn't have to pay out of pocket for you to spill your life's deepest traumas to this somewhat of a stranger. Take an educated guess as to what you think you might need in a therapist. Should they be a certain gender? A certain age? For me, I work best with younger females, probably because I am one myself.

Don't expect to dive into life's deepest, darkest issues in your first session, but do give your therapist a few sessions before judging whether or not the fit is good or not. If it's a fit, great! If not, don't sweat it, there are plenty of other therapists out there for you to find a good fit, and I promise your first therapist won't be offended if you terminate relations with them for another.

Other things to know about therapy:

• People around you will thank you for going
  • You can talk about anything you want -- the hour is yours
  • If you don't cry a little bit you aren't doing it right
  • Your therapist is on your side
  • Their job is literally to listen
  • You don't need to be massively mentally ill to benefit from therapy
  • Some sessions will feel better than others
  • No one is too good for therapy
  • Therapy is where you realize things and can challenge yourself
  • Sometimes having gone feels better than actually going