6 Things You Need To Know About Feminism

Don’t be afraid of the “f” word.
1873

Feminism is not as scary as it seems. Now, before you roll your eyes and/or run away from this article, open your mind a bit. Feminists are widely misunderstood and misrepresented in today's society. Feminism has a bad reputation, but not everything you hear is true. Here are some things you may want to know about this movement:

1. Let’s start with the definition of the word

In its simplest form, feminism is synonymous to the belief of equality. Feminism is, by definition, the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes. It is not by any means a superiority movement. Equality is a straightforward term to understand and believe in. If you believe in equal opportunity for all people, surprise you probably are a feminist and didn’t even know it!

2. Feminists don’t hate men

This is a common misconception, but a feminist hating a man would be hypocritical. We are fighting for equality, so hating someone based upon his or her gender would be counterintuitive. How can we hate men when we all have a father, husband, brother, uncle, cousin, friend, or boyfriend that we admire? Some of the best authors, musicians, actors and people we look up to most are men. Feminists are accepting of all genders, as that is what we stand for by definition. As it turns out, some men are feminists.

3. It’s not just for women

Feminism is all-inclusive! There are absolutely no bounds in this movement. Any person of any gender, color, religion, shape, size, etc. can be a feminist. Equality is not limited to just one group of people. We’re all in this together. Together is the only way we can obtain equality.

4. Feminism is a man’s issue too

Gender roles in society are a huge issue. Men have a certain manly, impassive standard to uphold, and women are expected to be emotional and sensitive. This ideal is unrealistic and that’s where feminism comes into play. Feminism is all about fighting for the ability for women to be seen as strong as men are perceived, and the ability for men to be as vulnerable as women are perceived. Gender should be recognized on a spectrum, and not as two opposing sets of ideals.

5. The wage gap is real

In the media, it has been said that a women makes 78 cents to a man’s dollar. That, however, is only somehwat true. A white woman makes 78 cents to a man’s dollar. A black woman makes 64 cents to a man’s dollar. A Hispanic woman makes 54 cents to a man’s dollar. For the same work. Now does that sound fair to you?

6. If you believe in equality, you’re probably a feminist

It’s okay to admit it. Don’t be embarrassed! If you are a feminist, that’s just a sign you’re a decent human being who believes anyone and everyone deserves to be treated equally no matter what gender he or she identifies as. Good for you, you're a great person.