What I Would Have Said During The Miss America 2016 Q&A Portion

Tell me, can you succinctly answer a complex and often politically charged question in twenty seconds or less?

72
The Hollywood Life

Miss Georgia Betty Cantrell has been crowned Miss America 2016, yet upon her coronation, her answer to a seemingly simple question, “Is Tom Brady a cheater?” has news publications critiquing her as the title’s holder. Sure, the question-and-answer portion is designed to find a girl that can think on her feet, but tell me, can you succinctly answer a complex and often politically charged question in twenty seconds or less?

I have always wondered how I would measure up in this category of Miss America. Sure, I’m no pageant queen; you couldn’t pay me to walk on stage in a bikini in front of millions of people. But for the most part, I believe in the way one’s words can have an impact, so the Q-and-A section has always captured my attention.

To celebrate the coronation of Miss America last night, I’ve decided to take on these questions myself in 4 sentences or less (which, I checked, roughly equates to 20-seconds). Though, unlike the seven contestants that answered these questions tonight, I have the advantage of my keyboard to adjust my answers when I stumble.

With minimum editing on my end, here's how I would respond to the questions at hand as opposed to the responses actually given at the Miss America Pageant.

Miss Colorado - Kelley Johnson

Celebrity Judge Asking the Question: Kevin O’Leary

"The treasury wants to put the face of a woman on the ten-dollar bill, beside Alexander Hamilton. Which woman should get that honor and why?"

Her answer: Ellen Degeneres because of her tasteful comedic timing and strong platform for equality.

My answer: Eleanor Roosevelt because she took the role of the First Lady and shaped the position into one that could incite change. She was the first chair of the UN Commission for Human Rights and used her outspoken nature to publicize civil rights, women’s rights in the workplace, and rights of World War II refugees. Roosevelt defied gender roles for her time to become the most respected woman in the world, and for her work, I believe she should be honored in this way.

Miss South Carolina - Daja Dial

Celebrity Judge Asking the Question: Amy Purdy

"America loves our Second Amendment, but gun violence continues to be a tragic problem. Do you support a ban on military style assault weapons?"

Her answer: She does not support a ban but believes education is vital in solving this problem.

My answer: As much as my friends back home in Georgia will hate me for this, I support a ban on these weapons. The Second Amendment was put in place at a time when artillery was a musket, not a semi-automatic assault rifle that shoots 180 rounds per minute. Although I do support owning a simple hand-gun to keep a piece of mind in one’s own home, military assault weapons belong in the hands of a trained soldier, not a civilian.

Miss Tennessee - Hannah Williams Robison

Celebrity Judge Asking the Question: Vanessa Williams

"Some legislators have threatened to shut down the government over federal contributions to Planned Parenthood, even though no federal funds can be used for abortion. Should Planned Parenthood funding be cut off?"

Her answer: No because this cuts off reproductive healthcare like mammograms.

My answer: Totally agree. Although I’ve been raised pro-life, I believe that the government should not inhibit decisions that a woman chooses to make for her own body. Beyond abortions, Planned Parenthood is a vital proponent for sexual education and safe sex practices, and the government should not be swayed from funding by politicians calling it “unethical,” many of whom preach this due to a religious bias.

Miss Alabama - Meg McGuffin

Celebrity Judge Asking the Question: Taya Kylie

"According to a poll released this week, Donald Trump is leading Republican candidates by 32% of the vote. Why do you think he is leading by such an overwhelming margin?"

Her Answer: He’s an entertainer that’s not afraid to say what’s on people’s minds, but the Republican Party should be scared that he’s taking the spotlight from other qualified politicians.

My Answer: Again, I agree. Donald Trump is someone who knows how to keep himself the center of attention, and frankly, I’m terrified to see his flash in the pan of the Presidential Primaries last this long. As good a businessman as Trump is, he’s not qualified to be the face of this nation with his violent opinions and lack of respect for the compromise that comes with foreign affairs. If the Republican Party doesn’t wise up and end Trump’s publicity stunt that’s honestly making a fool out of their political party, they’re going to basically hand the 2016 election over to the Democrats.

Miss Georgia - Betty Cantrell

Celebrity Judge Asking the Question: Brett Eldridge

"New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was suspended for his part in the so-called 'deflate-gate' scandal, then instated by the court. Legalities aside, did Tom Brady cheat?"

Her answer: I wasn’t there, but if there’s any question, then he did cheat.

My answer: I wasn’t there either, but I’m not going to penalize the guy for being the face of a franchise. I will, however, consider him guilty if the courts can prove that all the “evidence” surrounding text messages sent during that period and Brady’s ill-timed upgrade to an iPhone are more than just circumstantial evidence.

(Also, for the record, I think it’s ridiculous that this question was included as selection in comparison to every other question asked. So much of this case is “he-said-she-said,” and trying to pin circumstances as evidence makes this case a far more complicated issue than 20 seconds could ever cover.)

Miss Mississippi - Hannah Roberts

Celebrity Judge Asking the Question: Zendaya

"Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis was jailed for defying the Supreme Court’s order to issue same-sex marriage licenses. She claims the order violates her religious freedom. Does it?"

Her answer: No it does not violate her religious freedom.

My answer: It absolutely does not violate her freedom, thank you Miss Mississippi. If violating your religious beliefs allows everyone to have the rights and privileges that every American deserves to have under the law of the land, then so be it. Two people getting married has absolutely no effect on your life, so why should your identity as a Christian have any effect on theirs?

Miss Louisiana - April Nelson

Celebrity Judge Asking the Question: Danica McKellar

"The Black Lives Matter movement grew as a reaction to unarmed African Americans being killed by police. Now there are voices raised that call it a hate group, and say it should be called “All Lives Matter.” What do you think?"

Her answer: Black Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, [Oprah voice] YOUR life matters, YOUR life matters, EVERYBODY’S LIFE MAATTTEERRRSSS! (Okay maybe not quite that, but you get the idea.)

My answer: Saying that one minority’s “Lives Matter,” does not mean that everyone else’s don’t. This movement was created to stop police brutality, an issue that has particularly affected African American communities around the country. Those calling it a "hate group" and chanting "All Lives Matter" make a farce of the whole idea behind "Black Lives Matter" and are completely missing the point of this recent activism.

In Conclusion

Thinking on your feet is hard even for the most politically aware in our country. For those of you reading this, I suggest you take 20 seconds out of your day and answer any one of these questions on the spot. It's harder than it looks and, at least in my experience, stands as a solid test of one's instinctive political beliefs.

Since this experiment doesn't even take into account the nerves of speaking in front of millions of people during this portion of Miss America, I applaud these women for the time it took to perfect the poise conveyed in each articulate answer given. And finally, from one Georgia girl to another, a huge congratulations to Betty Cantrell on being crowned Miss America 2016.