4 Things Working For A Magazine Has Taught Me

Things I've learned by being a freelance writer

111
Oz Blog

A few months ago, one of my friends who also works in the communication field told me that a local magazine was hiring writers. Working for a magazine is something I've always wanted to do so I decided to send in an application and see what happened. Lo and behold, I got the job and have been working for DIG Baton Rouge for a few months now. In those few short months, I've learned more about working as a writer than I thought possible. Here are just a few of the things I've learned.

1. How to be VERY flexible

I've always known that you have to be flexible with your time when it comes to being a freelance writer. Until I actually started working, I didn't realize just how flexible you would have to be. I'm talking "Oh we're giving you an assignment today, and if you could have it done by tomorrow that would be great" flexible. Writing on the fly becomes second nature, and you learn not to even second guess yourself. Plans and deadlines can change on a whim, and you have to be prepared for it and roll with the punches. It's not necessarily the editor's fault, it's just the nature of the beast. It definitely keeps things interesting, and you'll never have a boring day on the job.

This all brings me to my next point

2. How to be more assertive

Working for DIG has broken me out of my shell very quickly. I've had to learn not to be afraid to make new contacts, ask around for sources and even be vocal enough to ask for same day interviews. Putting yourself out there is a must if you want to get any type of story. Standing up for myself and saying "No, I can't do this assignment today" and "Actually, I would really like this story" are phrases that had to enter my vocabulary. I've had to conquer my fears and anxiety and tell myself that I can apply for press passes and talk to people just like any other journalist.

3. How to be more social

Making myself more comfortable in social situations is also something I had to do quickly. Going to events, interviewing people I've never met and taking photos of strangers are things I never thought I would find myself doing. Before working for DIG, conducting an interview was the most nerve wracking thing to me, and I would stammer my way through to the very end. Now I'm so much more comfortable and I find myself asking better questions because I'm not so nervous. Also, the people you interview pick up on and mirror your energy, so it's good to learn to relax.

But above all I've learned...

4. I can do this whole journalism thing

I never imagined that I could get experience like this while still in college. Job requirements always ask for tons of experience and that always gave me intense anxiety. I, like most of my classmates, worried about how I was going to acquire enough practical experience to get even an entry level job. I now know that this is exactly how; by putting yourself out there. Putting myself out there and working for a magazine has helped me realize that I can make in the big bad "real world." I can get a job and make money doing something I love by just trying hard enough and having faith in myself.

I will always be thankful that my friend let me know DIG was hiring writers and that I sent the email that got me this job, even though it was scary at the time.