What I Wish Someone Would Have Told Me In My Depression

It's okay that you're hurting.

23

To the lonely, the depressed, and all in-between, this is for you.

Hey, friend. Yes, I said friend. You may not know me, but I know you at this moment, and I want to meet you right where you're at in this mess. You're tired of being tired, you're exhausted of being misunderstood, and you might even be scared. I've been where you're at, and I understand the darkness you feel surrounded by feels very real, but I'm here to tell you that you are stronger.

I am fully convinced that each of us here on earth has a definite purpose. Whether you think you are capable or deserving of that, you most certainly are. Classes at this point are overwhelming, we're still trying to figure out which people are our kind of people, if anyone wants to be our person, and if we're good enough for friends, smiles, and joy. You are worth all of these things and more; do not let your mind tell you any different.

You are fighting a battle that seems unyielding and unending, but as a survivor of depression and suicide, I promise you with my whole life that there is so much more waiting for you. Whether you believe it or not, the world would crumble if you were gone before your time. No matter how intelligent or wise people may be, no one can ever comprehend the darkness you feel unless you've been there.

Please know that it is okay that you're hurting. We were made with emotions that have been crafted by our experiences, and no one should undermine all you've been through and might be going through right now. One in four college students are diagnosed with depression, so wherever you're at reading this, whether that's at the library while trying to study, your apartment complex, your dorm, or maybe your student center, someone around you is fighting this same battle or can tell you that you can beat it.

As hard as everything seems, keep fighting. I need you here, your friends need you, the world needs you. Without you, some of life's greatest joys and accomplishments may be lost. Even if it's difficult, keep reaching out to people to let them know what you're facing. If they don't listen or avoid it, that doesn't mean everyone will do the same. You are worth the winning of this battle, and you are worth every amazing thing life has to offer.

Stay strong, and know that you are deeply, deeply loved.

It only get brighter and more beautiful from here.