What I Wish I Knew Before Dying My Hair (An Unusual Color)

It's a blessing and a curse.

941
Facebook

It was a cold night in September of 2012 when I was scrolling through Tumblr and came across a photo of a girl with long pink hair. “This is different,” I thought to myself. “But I love it.” I had dyed my hair blonde for the first time that year and was getting tired of it. It was turning a weird orange color and I wanted to get rid of it as soon as possible. I was preparing for my trip to Asia that winter, and wanted to do something crazy to my hair while I still could. (My grandma would have a heart attack if she ever saw me with anything but my natural colored hair.)

Then I did it. I dyed my entire head teal. It was a lot to get used to, but I never felt as confident as I did with it. I always felt so boring with my natural brown hair - or whatever color it was. However, as fun as it was, it had its downsides too. I had been dying my hair all different kinds of colors for years now and am still learning new things every time.

Here are some things I wish someone had told me before I dyed my hair (an unusual color):

1. What works for someone else might not work for you

I’ve used pretty much every product from Sally’s, to Target, to Wal-Mart. When you see someone with different dyed hair, complimenting them on it and asking what product they used just happens automatically. Many people are surprised when I tell them that Splat from Wal-Mart works best for me. Almost as surprised as I was when my pink from Beyond the Zone washed out 2 washes later.

2. It’s not always glamorous

Your hair may look like the coolest thing ever, but when it’s not done up, it’s a mess. And not even a hot one. What social media doesn’t show you, is what your hair looks like when you don’t get ready. Amazing hairdresser, Ursula Goff, uploaded the above photos on her Facebook and mentioned they were taken just a few days apart. "I think it's important to note that lighting, angles, facial expression, and make-up make a huge difference in photography and presentation...

And don’t even get me started on when it starts to fade…

3. Shopping for clothes will not be as fun

This is the most important thing I wish I knew (but I guess I should have expected it). You will not be able to wear everything you want. I repeat: You will not be able to wear everything you want.

4. Getting a job will not be easy

True story: I dyed my ends pink once and had to do all kinds of things to hide it from work. I wore a wig, hid it in a bun and even went as far as to spraying it black. Of course, it depends on the kind of your job you are getting in the first place. Most of the time it will be considered unprofessional or simply against their branded image. (I know, right? It’s 2016…)

5. You will be judged...

People will still look at you and wonder why you have colored hair. It’s 2016 but some people just can’t get with the times. Like I said, it will be considered unprofessional and some will look at you like you are some kind of hooligan. I experienced my first “WTF” moment when I had green hair.

I was waiting outside a salon that was still closed. I had an appointment to condition my hair and the owner had not arrived yet. I was still in my PJs, had walked to the salon so I sat on the curb and was on my phone. A cop car pulled up to me and asked me what my “business” there was and it was the first time I felt really judged on how I looked.

6. But you will receive more compliments than you’ve ever received in your life

The best thing about having colored hair is going through all the mess of dying it and having people tell you they appreciate it. My personal favorite is when kids lose their minds and go, “Whoa, mom. Look at her hair!” It really is a great icebreaker. One time I took the bus in Hollywood and a tourist next to me asked me if she could take a photo of my hair.

7. Swimming and getting out of the shower can be tricky

The first time I dyed my hair, I forgot and scared myself when I got out of the shower. I pretty much looked like some type of sea creature. When you have colored hair, you have to learn to wash your hair with cold water and it’s a total B word. Also, all your towels will be dark colored.

8. You are part of a community

Basically, we colored hair people have to stick together. We look out for each other, and that means exchanging daily routines, recommendations, ideas, and inspiration. Prepare to exchange secret glances with each other. When you walk by someone with colored hair, you low-key connect on a different level and it’s always awesome.