What I Wish I Knew About Move-In Day

What I Wish I Knew About Move-In Day

Here's the truth.

14
What I Wish I Knew About Move-In Day
Woman's World

You're 18 years old. Odds are, you have lived in the same relative area for your entire life and have never really moved before. Now, you're moving into a new bedroom, leaving behind your comfort zone (aka your dog), and most importantly, your home. It can be a crazy time to try to cope with. And there's all this content about moving in and what you should feel, what you should bring and how you should say goodbye to your parents. But as a college student who has gone through it, I'm cutting through the lack of genuine content and going to really tell you the truth about moving into college.

1. You're not bringing too much stuff; you're just bringing too much of the wrong things.

Everyone always says you bring too much stuff. Sure, leave those pair of shoes you haven't worn in four years at home. Leave the pounds and pounds of ramen at home, unless you truly want to experience the Freshman Fifteen. But practically think about storage. The cute decorative little bins that your mom loves at Bed Bath and Beyond can be very useful. You can sort your socks, underwear, shoes and even smaller or bigger knacks.

2. Your room is going to be small, tiny and cramped.

Recently, those two girls went viral for decorating their dorm room like something out of a magazine. But, for most people who don't have the skills or time to do that, you'll be stuck with horrible looking wooden furniture and knowing exactly when your roommate falls asleep, because you're so close to them that you can judge when their breathing patterns change.

I remember when I moved into my dorm room in my second year at New York University, I cried. And so did one of my other suitemates.

3. You may not become best friends with your roommate, and that's OK.

The first few months of college, I was on desperate mode for friends. I became friends with anyone who showed interest in a conversation beyond hi. Looking back, I picked up a few of my good friends to this day by seeing someone smoking outside my dorm building and sparking up a conversation in the dining hall line. That being said, it's super easy to just latch onto your roommate and call it a day.

For my freshman year, I became very close to my roommate. It made it fun because you always had a buddy to check out this event with or go to dinner with. But it also made it difficult on the roommate side of things: how do I tell my friend she is a bad roommate when she takes two hour long showers or when she drops food on the ground and refuses to pick it up?

So don't feel bad if you only exchange awkward smiles and talk about cleaning supplies with your roommate. But also don't panic if you really do become close to your roommate. Either one is OK and up to you. No BuzzFeed article can tell you the right answer, and neither can I.

4. Be nice to your parents on move-in day.

Everyone is tired. Everyone is sweating. Your parents have helped you move in all day and are even supporting you to continue your education. But you're excited to start your new chapter at college. Don't make them leave. Grab dinner or lunch with them before they set out for home. Hug them when they hug you. And try not to cry when they start crying.

I remember my mom started crying in front of the parking garage just a few blocks away from my dorm building in the Gramercy area of NYC. And I started crying. Then my dad started sniffling. I went back to my dorm room and felt so alone. So, pro-tip: don't cry when your parents cry. Put on some big-people pants and do it for them, because it will only make everyone else feel worse.

Moral of the story: your parents are the reason why you are financially and morally able to go to college. They have influenced you to get the grades you have gotten and to continue on to become smarter. They are your number-one fans. They won't be there tomorrow, but everyone else on your floor and classes will.

5. The Freshman 15 is real.

I mentioned leaving the ramen at home. I'm not kidding. Bulk up on fresh, healthy snacks like fresh fruit and rice cakes. Especially in the colder months, the amount of physical activity you do dwindles, and no one needs ramen in those times. But snack attacks happen, so munch on something that won't terrify your pants' waistband. That being said, treat yourself, but relatively.

6. All-nighters aren't necessary.

All-nighters are for the people who didn't do anything all semester and left everything to the last minute.

7. You're going to be stressed and nervous; let it happen.

Call your mom and cry on the phone. Bury your head in your pillow. Drown your sorrows in a cup of coffee. Let yourself feel the transition from normal to new. Don't expect to know everyone on campus and feel completely comfortable; allow yourself to be upset, scared and vulnerable, because that's the truth.

8. Stop stressing and have fun.

Everyone always tells you the four years of college are the best, and they are right. You are given the keys to the adult world, but can still rest your head on a pillow paid for by your parents. You have the option to experience the adult world without really feeling the weight of responsibilities. So, instead of stressing out over whether your roommate really likes you or if you brought too many decorative boxes, remember you're 18 and have the whole world at your fingertips; soak it up.