What I Wish I Could Tell PNMs But It's Silence

A message to the outside from the inside as recruitment week starts.

30
Hannah Maetzold

Dear Potential New Member (PNM),

Welcome to recruitment at Texas A&M! I can remember waiting what seemed to be years for this week to come when I was on the outside.

But this year it seems to have snuck up on me. It feels like just yesterday that I went to convocation, then boarded the bus at Olsen Field for the first Go Greek day. I was so nervous. I had my favorite three houses in mind already. I looked at other girls shorts and shoes and wondered if my outfit would catch the eye of the girls in the houses.

I hoped that I would stand out.

What I didn't know was how nervous those girls inside the houses were. How much they had prepared for that week. How many hours were spent talking about talking to you, practicing door songs over and over again until they went to sleep singing not only their own songs but other houses' songs, too. It's a whole new world over here. When you’re talking to each girl just remember that they were standing exactly in your shoes at one point.

Tonight, we, sorority women of Texas A&M and Grace Bible Church, prayed over you, the PNM, and the week that you are about to encounter.

We prayed for peaceful hearts as you go from one day to the next. We prayed for restful thoughts as you walk from one house to the next. We prayed for understanding as your houses are narrowed down throughout the week.

Most importantly, we prayed for you to be reminded that your identity is not founded in this week, what you wear, what you study, or what house you join.

Your identity, your worth, you, are founded in the love Jesus Christ.

You were made perfectly, just as you are. You were created for a purpose, a purpose much greater than which sorority you join for four years of college.

I hope that throughout this week you are kind to yourself and to the girls in your rho gamma. I hope that your cheeks hurt from smiling and your jaw hurts from talking. Even though the days seem like forever and you’re sticky from sweat, I hope that you do not lose sight of the bigger picture.

You are being given the chance to meet so many young women this week. You can create friendships that may last for the rest of your life. You are an ambassador for Christ and this week I hope that you let His joy and love shine out of you.

This week is going to be hard for many of you.

You may already have your top house picked out, but I hope that you are not shaken if you don’t end up there. Trust that the Lord has a plan for your life, including which sorority you join. Whichever house you end up in is going to love you for you, welcome you on your worst day, and bring out the deepest belly laughs you’ve ever had. You’re about to be given the chance to serve alongside these girls for the next four years.

I pray that you are not discouraged this week by the number of parties you have. I pray that you do not let your own thoughts attack you. I pray that you spread joy to everyone that you pass and do not lose sight of yourself. I pray that you trust that the Lord is walking beside you through it all. I pray that you know that you are loved, cherished, and desired.

I want you to know, PNM, that you have been prayed over. I want you to know that you are still being prayed over. But most importantly, I want you to know that your identity is not dependent upon this week.

Lastly, here are a few verses that we prayed specifically for you and for your experience this week:

"You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you." - Song of Solomon 4:7

"The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O Lord, endures forever - do not abandon the works of your hands." - Psalm 138:8

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” – Galatians 5:22-23

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” – John 14:27