What To Do When the Mountains Are Calling

For when you can't go.

22
northerncaliforniafun

Spring has sprung, but the snow is only melting in some places. The winter has been fun, I got to go skiing several times this summer and plus a few trips for just some winter times fun. However, the snow has gotten high enough in the Tahoe area that I cannot drive up to my favorite places to even spend one night! I love to go outdoors, but there is something about the mountains of California that call out to my soul. I miss being with them, but without the ability, knowledge, and equipment to hike into the four feet of snow I must wait until the ice has melted into summer. If you are hearing the same call back to the mountains but still cannot go, here are some tips to deal with your longing.

I would recommend reading books. They have always been my escape and you get to chose where you want to go and be there in an instant. Often during this time, I chose books about nature either technical that I can use later that summer on a new hike or a fantasy to satisfy my adventurous mood.

While I cannot go to the beloved mountains of California, I can still hike and go on many adventures! There is almost always a place you can go and hike that is acceptable to your ability and knowledge. Just look at the area around you, is there a hike around your home that you have wanted to do? Or maybe you have not researched the wonderful hiking trails in your area! This is the time to find those good old tourist areas that you have avoided and see the beauty of your home!

Now not everyone is going to be living near hiking trails or be able to get out of their city, but that does not mean you there are no places that you cannot explore! Cities are wonderful things that people tend to never explore. So go to your favorite restaurant, and make a reservation for in the next couple of hours. Then walk around, see the beauty of the shop, the lovely desserts in bakeries, and strangely beautiful buildings. While these things may never appear to be as wonderful as mountains, they still hold a beauty that is well worth appreciating.

Planning your next mountain adventure might also be worthwhile, as planning can take up quite a bit of your time, and you might be able to get it done just in time for the adventure! Be aware, as planning can also make you miss your slice of nature more while also being helpful into advancing your next trip!

I hope these were helpful and that the snow melts soon so you may also go on many adventures!