What Went Down In Portland and Why Is It So Important?

As people protest all across the country about Black Lives Matter and abuse of power from Law Enforcement, things have gotten more violent than anticipated.

147

This Friday, July 24 a U.S. Judge denied " an order sought by Oregon's top law enforcement officer to restrict federal agents' actions when they arrest people" during protests regarding the rising awareness of ongoing racial injustice (NBC). President Donald Trump sent in federal troops to get the protests under control, however, this order has resulted in many unjust injuries of peaceful protestors, as well as unconstitutional actions from the troops. Individuals involved in the protests claim the federal agents violated their rights against unconstitutional search and seizure as well as their freedom of speech.

These intense claims as well as video footage of the federal troops were posted onto social media for those in the dark about the situation. As protestors peacefully sat or stood, the footage shows them being tear-gassed or pushed to the ground. One protester was struck by ammunition meant to be "less-lethal", however, they were critically injured. Many protesters were "unlawfully detained" leaving the whole country continuing to question the law enforcement system. According to an NBC article, "U.S. agents have arrested 18 people in Portland this week, not including arrests made early Friday" and that thousands were tear-gassed in attempts to force them from crowding around the courthouse.

As police continue to be filmed being rough and unjust with people of color, the Black Live Matter supporters continue to make noise across social media by signing petitions, posting various messages and even making powerful artwork to evoke a change in the communities around them. Police brutality has been a heavy topic for decades, but the spark George Floyd's death made began the start of what many are calling "the revolution" that will bring justice to minorities and begin fixing the country's broken system. As protesters struggle to get the attention of the country through various forms, hope is not lost, and many, myself included, hope our voices are heard and the blood, sweat, and tears are worth the fight.