You Are What You Wear

You Are What You Wear

1493
You Are What You Wear

As superficial as this may seem, what you are wearing can say a lot about you. As awful as that sounds, it is just a fact of life that people are going to make assumptions based on how you look and present yourself. As often as we were told not to judge a book by its cover, that did not quite sink in. 

Now there are exceptions to every rule, no doubt, and I've probably worn each of these many a time. Let's just take a moment to take ownership of what we wear on our bodies, and celebrate the purpose and function of each type of college girl outfit.

1. The "I'm going to the gym, or trying to look like I did, but in a cute way outfit"

If this outfit cost under $100 dollars, then you're doing it wrong. I'm pretty sure most semi-upscale workout clothing brands/lines were invented for this purpose. Regardless of what time you are working out, or if you are even working out at all that day, you'll appear as if you live at the gym, while STILL looking presentable. 

Maybe you can out-lift all the frat guys, or maybe your idea of a workout is the oh so strenuous walk to class, either way, you're rocking an outfit that would have been considered highly scandalous when women were first allowed to go to college, so let's celebrate the progress we've made. 

Let's start from head to toe. The hair is your leftover night out hair, either straightened or curled pulled up into an impeccable ponytail, or wound tight into a sock bun. Some girls with magical abilities manage even have makeup on. The outfit has a unifying accent color that is tying your look together is your headband, and the shoe laces on your Nike™ Free's, that are all the same color. 

Your top is the secondary color or pattern, with a cool design, scrunches, cutouts, and of course a built in bra. If you're the type of girl who wears this outfit and actually does work out, you can get away with wearing just a sports bra and spandex shorts with your cheeks semi-out. But the rest of us mere mortals just wear leggings, cropped leggings, or yoga pants. Extra cute points if your leggings are a color other than black, navy, or grey. If it's cold, tie it together with a pricy running jacket.

"Casual Cute"

So, this girl probably gets all of her fashion inspiration from Pinterest, not that that's a bad thing because we all totally do it. CONFESSION: I am this girl roughly 75% of the time. 

In the Fall and Winter months, the casual cute girl will wear riding boots and only riding boots. She probably has various colors by various brands. Occasionally she'll live dangerously and change it up by wearing rainboots when it is actually raining, or Uggs when it's cold enough to justify wearing something that came from an animal that once lived and breathed. 

Whether or not she decides to wear leggings or jeans depends on her energy level/ what she ate the day before. In temperate climates, all she needs is an oversized long sleeve tee in every color, a Venti latte saturated with sugar-free syrups and an infinity scarf, some riding boots, and she'll survive the winter. I don't know much about freezing temperatures or snow, but I assume she'd wear some sort of cute pea coat. 

In the Springtime, she'll break out her chiffon tops and tanks in pastels and rainbow array of statement necklaces, Rainbows flip flops, and cute sandals. Her leggings may retire until the weather gets cooler, as she transitions into high waisted shorts and things that are crochet and daisy print. I'm not going to call this girl basic because I absolutely detest the trend of females bashing other females for things that we all do, and all like. There is a time and place to be "basic", and day to day casual attire is one of them. Plus, sometimes things truly are "basic" such as v-neck white tees, but as basic as they are, they serve a clear purpose. Besides, people who try too hard to NOT be basic, therefore end up becoming basic by trying too hard, where as if you truly were not basic, you wouldn't have a care in the world if people wore the same thing as you. But this is another article in itself. Now lie to me and tell me you've never seen anyone else wearing something similar to what you were wearing.

"The Rich-pster"

Much like the trying to be cute work out outfit, this outfit also shouldn't be less than $100 dollars and should come exclusively from Free People, Urban Outfitters, Topshop, and American Apparel because you totally care about things being ethically produced in the USA and not China, that is, if you even shop at chain stores. In fact, when you see something you like in a store, the more expensive it is, and the more inexpensive it actually looks makes you want it even more. 

If you dress like this on a regular basis, then your tumblr and insta accounts are probably on point, and if you don't dress like this on a regular basis, then you probably do at least for Coachella weekend. No Forever 21 or H&M seen here because you're #notbasic and only drink the finest fair trade coffee, or anything else that is the antithesis of a PSL.

You probably wear glasses that you don't even need and actually look pretty when you wear them, which makes people like me who actually need them for sight hate you a little bit, and you for sure have a fake gluten allergy. But it's okay, because you're really trendy and pretty, you get away with this.

"Southern Prep"

All. Lilly Print. Errythang. Either you go to school in the South or more likely you wish you went to school in the SEC. 

Every item you own, from your bag, your phone case, water bottle, sheets, towels, heck, even your stationary, pens and underwear are probably monogrammed. Your wardrobe is something between a four year old and a grandma thanks to the prints and colors and your entire life, down to your study breaks and girls night's are documented in your Lilly planner of course. 

There isn't a single occasion, in your opinion where a sundress is inappropriate. Except for maybe the gym, but that's where your monogrammed water bottle and chevron tote come into play, right? Doesn't matter how much this outfit cost, because you're still shotgunning a beer with the boys. These prints were made for spills, right?

"DGAF Diva"

You have 8AMs, or at least a class before noon, or maybe you're sick and still plowing along to class and putting on an actual outfit is unfathomable. So you head into a strange hybrid territory of outfits, your workout leggings, yoga pants, or even *gasp* sweats, flip flops or Uggs depending on a weather, and some sweatshirt you stole from that guy who walked you home, that hopefully doesn't smell, or an philanthropy shirt that may have even happened before you even got to college. Messy bun and glasses are also usually a staple of this outfit, because doing your hair is hard at such an ungodly hour, and your contact lenses are on strike. Many girls are tempted to wear one of their cute and comfy Greek-lettered shirts, but that's probably a really bad idea. But there really is no shame in this outfit, because we all do it.  

Which one are you?