What We Can Learn From Disney's 'Tangled'

Disney movies have overarching themes that carry through from childhood to adulthood. "Tangled" is no exception.

5098
ING articles

When I tell people that I know every word to the Disney hit movie "Tangled," I get very judgmental looks back. People think it's weird that a 19-year-old college student's favorite movie is an animated movie about a princess with long hair and a chameleon for a best friend. I've been obsessed with Rapunzel and "Tangled" since I saw it in theaters in 2010. I've always been a Disney fan, and I loved most of the princesses, but "Tangled" snatched away the title of favorite, and it won't be giving up that title anytime soon. The fact of the matter is, "Tangled" takes problems that everyone has -- adults, children, college kids -- and teaches us how to overcome those problems. Yes, on the outside it seems as though the movie is just a goofy kids' movie about magic glowing hair, but it is so much more. Here are some lessons that it has taught me.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Just because someone looks a little different, acts a little different, or seems a little different, it doesn't give you the right to judge them at all. Everyone has their special quirks that make them who they are, and you won't know these until you open their book and look inside. Take the time to get to know everyone you come across, and do it with a smile.

Sometimes we all need a little independence.

Rapunzel was up in her tower for almost 18 years, and she knew how to be by herself. She cooked by herself, cleaned by herself, and even danced by herself. And she was fine. It's totally fine to be by yourself sometimes -- to be honest, it's very important. Take time out of what you're doing and rock out by yourself; it's a great way to clear your mind.

Even if it hurts you or someone else, you must stand up for yourself.

Unfortunately, not everyone in the world is good. Due to that, sometimes you have to stand up to those around you, maybe even a friend or family member. It may be hard, but you can't let people push you around and control you for your entire life. Standing up for what you believe in will always work out in the end.

Always try and give people second chances.

Sometimes the best friendships flourish out of a dislike for someone. Maximus and Flynn hate each other for most of the movie, until they have to work together to help their mutual friend. You can't truly know someone till you spend lots of time with them, and giving people multiple chances will allow for friendships to bloom that may have not bloomed originally.

Have an open mind.

Since you were lucky enough to not have spent the first 18 years of your life in a tower (I hope), that means you've experienced quite a bit in your life. If you don't have an open mind about everything, you're going to miss out. Stay humble, stay excited, and stay positive about everything that happens in your life.

Take life into your own hands.

If you have a desire to do something, go do it. Rapunzel wanted to leave her tower and see the lanterns, and that's exactly what she did. Even if other people don't agree with your choices or decisions, keep moving forward with them, and you'll end up successful.

Leave the tower.

Now, I'm hoping that none of you have spent the last 18 years of your life actually locked in a tower, but we can all learn from Rapunzel and learn that we must leave our safe places to go experience new things. You can't stay in one place your whole life -- you won't ever grow as a person.

Live your dream.

We all have dreams. I'd personally want to marry Jon Hamm and become the next Olivia Pope. Dreams may be silly or impossible or weird, but they are what drive us as people. Rapunzel's dream was to see the floating lanterns, and she got that. If you are dedicated to making your dream come true, and you have a great support system, it will come true in its own time.

The Disney corporation prides itself on granting wishes and making dreams come true, and "Tangled" is the perfect movie to inspire people to go after what they want. No matter if you're a broke college aged student or a CEO, or anything in between, I suggest sitting down and watching "Tangled" and really taking in the true meaning.