What I Want My Mom To Know While I’m Away At College

You might be 50 miles away, but you're still with me.

6
Redacción Argentarium

Dear Mom,

I want you to know that I’m doing awesome.

I am loving my classes, and doing well in them. I have some really cool professors. I do my best to get all of my work in on time. I think you would be proud of all of my assignments and projects I have completed so far. Aside from class, I have made so many friends here at school, and may I say I’ve met some pretty incredible people. People who I believe will be a part of my life for a long time, so I’m sure you will meet them at some point. They keep me company and keep me laughing, and I know you'll be happy to hear that. Just know that I am doing awesome.

I want you to know that I miss you every day.

Random things will happen throughout my day that remind me of you. Little inside jokes of ours are often thought of during my week. Certain songs come on the radio and they remind me of you, and it makes me wish we were driving around together, blasting the song and singing along. Watching TV shows that I would normally watch with you at home just isn't the same, but I watch them because they remind me of you. I miss you every day.

I want you to know that you’re still taking care of me.

Whether you realize it or not, I think of you when I leave a dirty dish on my desk, how you would be telling me to go rinse it. Every time I buy something I think, would mom let me spend my money on this? I can almost hear your voice when I’m in line at Dunkin Donuts in the morning, “You don’t need this coffee.” You’ll be proud to know I try my best to fold my clothes fresh out of the dryer so they don’t wrinkle. I make sure I fill my plate at the dining hall, with more than just chicken and fries may I add. I know you'd be making sure I'm eating every meal. In the back of my mind, you’re still taking care of me.

Most of all, I want you to know that you don’t have to worry about me.

I know I don't really talk about all of this much, and it's because when I call home, I want to hear about home. I miss home, but I’m having a great time here. I’m experiencing a lot of new things. I’m learning to be independent and becoming stronger being on my own. But know that even though I am loving college, I am always looking forward to going home for long weekends and breaks. We both know finals week will come before we know it and I will be moving back home to you very soon. Then we have all summer together, until August when all of this applies again. But until then, just know that you don't have to worry about me.

Love,

Your College Girl