What Twins Say vs What They Think

What Twins Say vs What They Think

My sister and I's response to twin questions.

131
What Twins Say vs What They Think
TheOdysseyOnline

As an identical twin, I find it amusing the type of questions my sister and I are asked. The common misconceptions of twins are well known; however, everyone we meet seems to lose this knowledge when they meet us for the first time. When we answer your questions, you must believe that you're not the first person to have made an assumption about who we are and what we do. My sister and I are not annoyed by the constant bombardment of questions or naivety. But, if you were to read our minds, the answers we really want to say are utterly more sarcastic than the verbal response we give.

Exhibit A: "Omg you guys are twins?!?!"

What we say: *weak laugh* yes, we are.
What we are thinking: Omg are we? I didn't know that; I only lived with her for 2 decades.

If you see that two people look alike, and they live together, it's a 100% yes, they are twins.

Exhibit B: "Since you guys are twins, do you do everything with each other?"

What we say: No, not really. We don't need the presence of each other to function.
What we are thinking: I mean if you want to believe we do everything together then sure; I hope you at least think we go to the restroom separately.

This question is asked so much, because we are always seen with each other. My sister and I live together, so of course, you will see us with each other. Furthermore, we are biology majors; it's safe to say we have some of the same classes. You will see us with each other; but our life is not based on what the other does.

Exhibit C: "Do you guys have the same birthday?"

What we say: Well, I don't know, let me go ask my twin.
What we think: Well, I don't know, let me go ask my twin.

There is no explanation needed; if you ask this question, you'll receive a sarcastic remark no matter what.

Exhibit D: "If I punch you, will your sister feel it?"

What we say: I hope not.
What we are thinking: Is this person joking or are they being serious? If they punch me, I hope they know I will defend myself.

I know there are stories out there that say twins can feel each other's pain, but those cases are rare. It is impossible to feel someone else's physical pain; the pain that is usually sensed is when a twin is feeling depressed or angered. Which brings me to:

Exhibit E: "Do you have telekinesis?"

What we say: *a really delayed response* Sure why not.
What we are thinking: I'm pretty sure they are asking if we have twin telepathy... Who do they think we are? We're not Edward Cullen from Twilight.

Needless to say, it's called twin telepathy everyone! And yes, it may seem like we have the supernatural power, but any two people that are close, do end up with a sense of what the other is thinking, and they know when their partner is feeling a certain way. Twins were raised together, and just like any other siblings, we know way too much about each other than we want to know.

All in all, you may think our way of thinking is dramatic; we feel the same way about your questions.