Happy Father’s Day To My “Long-Distance” Father!

For the love of my life

218
Vedica Jha

Well, it’s Father’s Day weekend as I write this article. I have friends who are with their fathers right now since it’s summer break or people who are going back home for the weekend to be with their fathers and I can only count the days until I fly back home, after a YEAR, to finally see my dad!

You don’t realize how much you miss celebrating these days until you finally can’t. In my two years in the states, I have made it a point to be home on my birthday because I can’t imagine celebrating it without my parents. But I do miss their birthdays, their anniversaries, and then days like these!

What would I have done if I were home? *thinks like Chandler does in Tulsa*

We’d probably just chill, go shopping, watch a movie, I’d make him a card and he’d secretly cry (Yeah, dad! Let’s not pretend that doesn’t happen :P Also, guess what? You can’t get mad ‘cause I’m not home :P)! Nothing out-of-the-way special but from 10,000 miles away, heck yeah, special!

We try and cram all the celebrations in the 3-4 weeks that I get to spend at home. But I do want to take this opportunity to thank my dad for everything he has done for me. And more importantly, for raising me in a way that I can’t imagine being bettered.

He is my best friend. I go to him with my problems even before I go to my friends or mom. And it has always been like that. He helped me with problems in school, sided with me whenever anyone in the family questioned my decisions, gave me the freedom to chase my dreams, little or large, helped me with guy problems, and it is a conversation that I had with him that helped me move past my broken relationship. Now, I know what you’re thinking. It is very atypical of an Indian dad to do all those things. But he has and that makes me appreciate it even more.

Sometimes, we sit and listen to music, and see who can find the lyrics first. We are both all about the lyrics so it helps to see who can get to the words and sing along with a singer and song we’d never heard before! It’s silly, but I miss it!

I remember a couple of years ago, we were going through some financial problems and my mom left for a meeting because she had to and that discussion remained incomplete. Dad just sat there helplessly and I hugged him because there wasn’t much I could do to make the situation better. And he cried and said, “I’m sorry I couldn’t do as much as I’d like to have done for you.” That’s the day I realized that this man would never feel like he’s done enough for me! He has already made me feel like a princess in times when we were broke, what else can a father do? But he dreams of giving me more and I just hope I can return back all the love at some point in my life.

I have never found more comfort anywhere else. And, the greatest thing is the assurance I have about my bond with my father. I know he will be there, whatever in the world I may have to discuss with him. It can be literally anything and he’ll be there irrespective of the time difference. I call at odd hours and disturb him when he’s sleeping to talk about things like a girl who’s stalking me on Instagram. And he wakes up and Skypes with me, tells me how awesome I am and we write a song about it. It’s things like these, things I can never do with anybody else that make me wish I had the chance to go hug my father and wish him on father’s day for being the one father who really, really deserves the tightest hug but is not going to get it this year or the next at the very least.

The long distance seems to work though :P The man has not cheated on me by giving more importance to our dogs (Thankfully, I am an only child and my only competition are the two hideously adorable dogs we have), and he makes sure he gives me time! We make it work :) Whoever said men can’t be faithful, needs to meet fathers. Fathers who work every day of their lives to make this a better place for their kids to live in and Dadu, you’ve made this world so much better for me. I cannot imagine growing up in it without you and your ideas, teachings, advice and most importantly, your undying and ever-growing love.

You are why I have survived everything from my first injury to my last heartbreak and I miss you more than all of that ever hurt. Thank you for being there and I hope you know how much you matter to me.

So, eat tomatoes, and leafy vegetables, reduce your caffeine content and keep smiling :) I’ve got your back, now and forever. I promise.

Love you more than you can imagine,

‘Babu’

For the readers: Let your fathers know how much they mean to you! Also, I’d love to hear about some of the Father’s day things you guys do. Or little incidents or memories with your fathers that are unique only to you! Happy Father’s day to all the fathers out there and I hope your kids make you feel loved today and always. :)