6 Things I Want My Younger Sibling To Know

I will be there for you...always...

498
Amy Dixon

There are just a few things you need to know...

1. You can conquer anything you set your mind to

Growing up is going to be hard, especially as a teenager. Going through high school is going to be joyous, torturous, exciting, tiring, but most importantly the best years of your life you will ever experience. Everyone says you're not going to want to go back to see all the teachers that have helped you or the best friends that you have struggled and had success with, but you will. You're going to want to give up a lot.. but you can't. I won't let you. I will be there for you every step of the way. You're going to get through that trigonometry test, that English test with the vocabulary words from the book you don't understand, and that World War II test. You can do anything you challenge yourself to. Even with a little help, you can always do it.

2. When you experience your first heartbreak, I will be there

It is going to happen. You won't want it to. The people around you won't want it to happen either. Just remember that everything happens for a reason. You are going to feel worthless and you are not going to want to go to school. You can do it. You can power through the struggle and rise above the challenge that you have been faced with. We can go get ice cream, go for a drive around town, go see a movie, or go out to dinner. Anything you want. I wouldn't do it for anyone else. You are going to get over it eventually, it will take a while, but you can overcome it.

3. I will always be your number one fan

I will ALWAYS be there to cheer you on. No matter the occasion. One day you'll be on the field for football, lacrosse, softball, field hockey, baseball, soccer or you will be on the court for volleyball, tennis, or basketball. Maybe you will be on stage acting as another character or on stage singing your favorite song. You could even be up on stage playing the flute, trumpet, clarinet, drums, or another instrument that you were able to learn how to play. I will always be on the sideline of every game, every concert, every play, and every award ceremony. I will always be there every chance I can to see you do what you love.

4. Do not let anyone try to change who you are

You are unique. You are handsome. You are beautiful. You are strong. You are passionate. You can never change for someone else. If someone does not appreciate you for who you are, then they do not deserve you. There are mean people in this world that are going to be in your life. If their opinion upsets you or makes you want to change, you can't listen to them. They will want to assume something about you. They are not going to want to get to know the real you. That only shows that you are stronger than them. That you are brave and courageous. Something they are not. Just keep being you.

5. I am always a phone call away if I am not with you

I'm not always going to be with you physically, but I will always be by your side. Always remember that. I will answer my phone no matter what time of the day it is. It could be eleven thirty at night and you just want to chat about how your day went, three o'clock in the morning and you want to talk about the dream you just woke up from or one o'clock in the afternoon and you want to talk about what you just ate that's not making you feel well. I will always have my phone on me because I know there could be a time that you need me. I will always be here to support you in whatever positive decision you make and give you advice on a negative decision you have made. I will always answer because it's you.

6. I will love you forever

You're my sibling, my blood, my little warrior. We were meant to be together, to know each other, and to help each other go through life together. You can do anything you set your mind to, you can get through that heartbreak, you'll beat that team your school hasn't won against in four years, you can conquer that stage freight, you can't let the negative comments get to you, and if they do, you can always pick up the phone and give me a call.

Don't ever forget any of this. I love you!