What To Remember When You're In A Moment Of Darkness

"Sometimes the bravest thing you can do is to keep going when you feel like giving up."

147
Arcey

We've all been to that point before, where you're not sure what more you can do... whether it's going through a hard break-up or, having your first mental breakdown at college (and your mom isn't there to wipe away your tears) -- it's a moment of darkness that can often be scary.

Sometimes we don't even know what's behind the tears and the emotions and even when we do, it hits us unexpectedly and we're stuck there. So when these feelings come along... Get out bed, turn off the depressing music and head to the freezer, grab some ice cream and remember that no matter what life throws at you, you are good enough. And besides the ice cream (of course) - there are so many precious things in life to remind you how blessed you truly are.

Your family, no matter the circumstances is by your side forever. When the going gets tough, who do you call? When your excited about something, who are you the first to tell? Say you're in trouble, who will be there to save you? It's an ongoing reassurance that no matter where life takes you - there's that constant backbone that is there to help you, rescue you and celebrate with you.

One of my absolute favorite things is to reminisce on childhood memories - and I can easily say those memories are so very valuable to who I am today. Think about all of your favorite childhood memories, and your ability to dream big and think outside the box while living life without fear (other than the monster under your bed). It's those precious moments in life that you hold on to forever, and who shaped you into the person you are today. And the 6-year-old version of yourself would be so proud and amazed of all of the things you've accomplished so far.

Having passion(s) toward your favorite things in life - whether it be your career, your favorite hobby or a goal in life that you're working toward. The feeling of ambition and determination that this passion brings out in you is so very powerful no matter the simplicity of it. When the feeling of not being good enough creeps up on you - remember that thing that lights a fire inside of you and is a big part of who you are... Because each and everyone of us has something that has that type of impact on us.

The capability to love and to be loved is one of the most important things to remember when the going gets tough. No matter who you are and the mistakes you've made, you are loved. There is someone that lights up when your name is mentioned (even if it's just your mom) - if that's not a reason to keep going when things are hard, I don't know what is. Along with that, think of all the people in life that not only love you, but the strength of your love for them. And although I am not a cheesy person, andI r typing this out kind of makes me cringe but it's OK because it's so very true - love is powerful. Even when you don't realize it, it's often the motivation behind of the decisions you make in life - and the ability to love and to be loved is something you should always be thankful for.

It doesn't matter the type of person you are, the things you've done, the hardships that life has put you through or how much you have changed - you have people who you call family, you have childhood memories that you will hold on to for the rest of your life, you have passions that bring out your ambitions, you are loved and you are capable of loving. Remember that the next time you find yourself in a dark place.