What To Do When You're Stuck In The Middle

Now you have that song by DJ Snake playing inside your head, I know.

1922
Cartoons Mix

Everyone has experienced this at some point in their lives: two people are having problems and you're just sitting there, somehow involved. This happens to many different people with many different situations, whether that be a child stuck between separated parents or even a friend stuck between two other friends.

So, I'm here to tell you exactly what to do when you find yourself in a situation such as this.

Don't do anything.

That's right, you heard me correctly. Don't do anything.

Being stuck in the middle of a situation that shouldn't involve you is unfortunate, but it's not something you should feel the need to mend or be a part of. You were never involved with this situation to begin with, so why are you trying to make it better?

I have been stuck in the middle of plenty of situations in my eighteen years of living, and I never realized until now how important it is to just stay out of it. Between having separated parents and friend groups that always found fault with one another, I've dealt with so many situations that I have tried to fix because I somehow felt that it was my fault in some way or another. But it wasn't.

The truth is that most of the time when you are stuck in the middle of others' problems, you are there because of coincidence. However, you could also be there because one of those involved are trying to make you either pick a side or be a middle man.

You should never have to pick a side or be a buffer. That's how you know that this situation should be handled between those involved without your presence. That is the only way that anything will be solved, unless they decide to live in blissful ignorance. Though that may not be ideal for you, it's not about you; it's about them.

However, there are times where being stuck in the middle is necessary. I am a firm believer in the idea that things happen for a reason and sometimes you have to look at these situations with that understanding. You are stuck in the middle so you can learn something from it or because those involved need your advice and encouragement. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with either of those reasons. I know it's annoying but something coming out of the situation might ultimately affect you in some way.

Overall, you should not do anything when you are stuck in the middle of others' problems, but you should be able to give them advice if they need it. You should also not be forced to be a buffer in these situations, but you should be able to maintain relationships with both people in the case that things do not work out. Remember, this is not your problem and you do not have to find fault for yourself within the situation; you were just simply meant to learn something from it.