What To Do When ICE Knocks On Your Door

What To Do When ICE Knocks On Your Door

Tips from experts that can save you from deportation.

69
What To Do When ICE Knocks On Your Door
WBUR

Unofficial immigration raids have been occurring all over the nation ever since the new administration took over. Although U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) said that these raids are just part of their usual routine, fear among the immigration community has grown intensely.

"ICE officers in the Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, San Antonio and New York City areas of responsibility arrested more than 680 individuals who pose a threat to public safety, border security or the integrity of our nation’s immigration system," said Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, recently appointed by Donald Trump. " Of those arrested, approximately 75 percent were criminal aliens."

Even though President Trump assured that only those with criminal record and infants who had recently arrived would be subject to immediate deportation, it seems like ICE agents are detaining as many as they can, including those protected under President Obama's Differed Action for Childhood Arrivals, also known as DACA.

It is uncertain what could happen next. The Associated Press released a draft that proposed having the National Guard round up immigrants in 11 states on Friday. Although this draft was labeled by White House official as "false," this is not the first time someone would leak information from the Trump administration that would end up being true. For instance, Trump threatened Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto.

So here is your quick guide with expert advice on how to deal with the ICE. Although this guide contains many tips that could save your parents, friends or significant other from deportation, it is important to get legal assistance if you are fearing deportation.

1. Backup Plan

We live under the will of an unpredictable administration, get your backup plan done as of today!

• Safe account: Put away savings and ready for your use internationally.

• Documents: Passports are the best document one can have because you can identify yourself internationally. Children may require their parent's consent to travel. Have that ready. School certifications must be translated in order to be used in another country. If you have children, make sure you know where all these documents are stored. Documents also include vaccine records and birth certificates.

• Trust someone: Leave a spare key and instructions on where to find your documents, preferably inside an envelope with the international address written on it, and a power of attorney that allows that trusted someone to sell you belongings, like a vehicle.

• Telephone Numbers: Memorize at least two.

2. Get informed

Social media is an amazing way to spread the voice. Join a group on Facebook. Alert community members of raids going on in the community. Videos and photos are a great tool as well. YouTube holds a number of tips and testimonials of ICE operations.

3. Doors and Locks

It is important to get used to locking your door if you know a raid may happen near your community. Talk to your relatives, roommates and especially kids about not opening the door to strangers—and definitely not to ICE.

In Gainesville, Georgia, two children opened the door to ICE agents causing the deportation of two of the family members. The horrifying moment of the family being split apart was caught on video.

DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR TO ICE, NO MATTER WHAT!

4. Speaking to ICE agents at the door

As said before, do not open the door to ICE, even if they say they are looking for someone else. Experts say you can ask the agents to identify themselves, even provide a badge number and a warrant, which must be signed by a judge in order for them to enter your home. They can slip it under the door or place it against a window. If they do have a warrant, they will come in eventually, but you can still leave the door locked.

5. Your rights

Any person, legal or undocumented, has rights. Remain silent at all times. ICE agents do not need to read you your Miranda Rights. Still, anything can be used against you.

They might ask if you have papers, or where are you from. DO NOT ANSWER! Hopefully, if you are detained, you will have the right to see an immigration judge and make bail.

In addition, do not sign any document. if you are questioned, just ask for a lawyer.

Seek legal counseling if this article still has not answered your questions. It is important to stay calm. Countries, like Mexico, are starting a program that aids deported migrants with employment, housing and money. You can call your consulate for more information.