What To Do About Split Families For The Holiday

Go to both, it'll be worth it.

13
Atlantic City Cape May

Having a split family is difficult, but it's even harder during the holidays. Growing up, it seems nice, because you get to experience everything twice. But when you hit the driving age, that's when everything becomes quite complicated.

Mom's family is eating at 2, Dad's family is eating at 3. The houses are thirty minutes apart, what do I do? It's difficult because you have to eat and run at one, and the other, you're already stuffed, so your sitting there impatiently waiting until everyone is done eating, because now you just want dessert.

Truth is, they both understand. They're not going to get mad or angry at you. Rather, they understand there is somewhere else that you have to be, or there's somewhere that you have already went. The good thing is, sometimes you get lucky, and Mom's Mom makes your favorite dish, and then your step mom makes your other favorite dish.

You may even get lucky and one will have turkey and the other will have ham, that way you're not stuffing yourself with that plain old turkey, that you can only eat so much of. Although thanksgiving food is nice, it does get old after a while.

There are some benefits to having a split family, but people don't really understand that it is a true struggle. You don’t want to feel like you're picking favorites and you don't want to be late to one family dinner. But truthfully, in the end, the only thing that matters to both sides of the families is that you show up, no matter if you show up twenty minutes late, or if you have to eat and run. They appreciate seeing your face regardless the amount of time.

Don't stress, just breathe. They understand it is difficult. They don't care what time you show up. Just go, get a full stomach, and relax. Family is everything, so be sure you see both sides on the holidays. After all, you can't get yelled at for how much you eat or don't eat, so take two plates at one, and two plates of dessert at the other. It is the holidays, therefore it is acceptable.