What You Actually Need For College

What You Actually Need For College

The ultimate list for your college dorm room

5257
What You Actually Need For College

Before high school graduation is over, most seniors start thinking about what they'll need for their college dorm. You use Google/Pinterest and find "the ultimate college packing list". Well, let me tell you, they make you buy so much more than you need, it's ridiculous (I know from experience).

An important tip my mom gave me (that I didn't believe until after) was that you don't need to buy everything before you get to school. I thought I needed to have everything before I stepped in my room for the first time, but it turns out I didn't have it all and I still needed to go out to the store on move-in day and pick up a few odds and ends, and that's okay. It's better to not stress and just get some items the day of move it. So here's a packing list that won't make you spend a fortune. Keep in mind all dorms are different and this is based on community style bathrooms.

Here is a list of what you actually need for college:

Bed

1. 2 sets of sheets – most beds are Twin XL

2. Foam mattress pad

3. Comforter

4. Regular pillow and decorative pillows

-Don't get too many decorative pillows, believe me, you won't be making your bed every day.

5. Two or three extra blankets

-The fuzzier the better!

6. Bed risers

7. Plastic drawers for underneath

-You'll need more storage than you think and the rooms don't come with enough.

Bathroom/Personal Care

1. Shower caddy

2. Toothbrush case

- You'll most likely keep your toothbrush in your shower caddy and when you shower the water will most likely spray onto the toothbrush so the case keeps it cleaner.

3. Two or three bath towels

-Use them more than once before washing.

4. Towel wrap or robe

-If you didn't use one at home you will DEFINITELY use one at school.

5. Washcloths

-Get more than you think, I used one, sometimes two, a day and would run out before I washed my towels.

Kitchen

1. Fridge and microwave

-Penn State provides these.

2. Reusable silverware

3. 3 or 4 coffee mugs

4. Bin to store food

5. Brita filter pitcher

-It is much easier than buying a case of water every week.

6. Plastic plates/bowls/cups

-Make sure they are microwaveable safe!

7. Ice cub trays

8. Keurig

-It's good for more than just coffee!

Decor

You'll walk into a room with bare walls, and probably wonder to yourself how this will ever feel like home. Bring things you love to add some color to the walls and make it a room you love.

1. Sticky Tack

2. Lots of command hooks of many kinds

- I'm not joking, I mean LOTS.

3. Photos

4. String lights

5. Desk lamp/light for near your bed

7. Chair cushion

-Those desk chairs are NOT comfortable.

8. Large Rug

- If there is one thing I recommend for your dorm, it is to get a rug! My rug made my dorm much homier, and everyone commented on it. It also gave my roommate and I space to sit on the floor. At Penn State, in Pollock you can get an 8'x8' (ish) rug to fill the whole room. If you are in East you may want to get 2 or 3 small rugs to put around the room. Just keep in mind you may want a small vacuum.

9. Whiteboard

-For the door; it's fun seeing the notes your hall-mates leave!

10. Calendar

-Make it artsy and keep yourself on track.

Misc.

1. One or two surge protectors

2. One or two extension cords

3. Doorstop

-Another dorm room essential! Propping your door open is a great way to meet new people, it's especially important the first few weeks of school. My roommate and I almost always had our door open. It is also good to keep your door open when it's hot to keep the room cooler.

4. Personal fan and box fan

-And speaking of keeping the room cooler, Penn State's dorms are not air conditioned so the more fan's the merrier!

5. Paper towels and Clorox wipes

6. Personal mirror/Full-length mirror

7. Extra long phone charger

-You won't know where the closest outlet is.

8. Board games, card games, Frisbee

-Eventually, you'll get board, having games and things to do will come in handy.

9. iHome/clock

10. Medicine/first aid kit/tissues

11. Lawn blanket

Every person needs/wants things to feel at home in their dorm but here's a start without all of the extra "stuff" other dorm room packing lists add. And remember, you don't need to have everything before you get to school. Best of luck with your next adventure!