What To Bring To College: A Complete List

Happy shopping

406
Amy Aroune

Last year, as soon as I committed to my school, I was searching the Internet for lists of necessary items to bring to college, the prettiest bedspreads, and the potential color schemes I wanted. Though your dorm room may be no larger than the average shed, it becomes your home away from home, and in order to make it as comfortable as possible, you need quite a few things. With my first year in college coming to a close, I have come up with an organized list of the essentials you need at school, divided by categories.

Bed

In college, your bed serves as a place to study, a place to sleep, a place to relax, and sometimes a place to procrastinate. It's important to make it exactly how you want it.

-Bedbug protective topper

-Mattress topper

-Comforter in your favorite pattern

-2 sets of Twin XL sheets

-Pillows

(Including, but not limited to a body pillow, a husband pillow, throw pillows, and accent pillows. You can find great pillows at stores lie TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Target.)

-Extra pillowcases

-Throw blanket

-Bed risers

(Only if your school allows them. The extra space beneath your bed provides so much storage that would have otherwise gone wasted.)

Room/Closet/Storage

-Area rug

(Check with your dorm about the flooring. Even if you have carpet in your room, an area rug is extra comfort. If you think your feet might get cold, they most likely will.)

-Floor lamp

-Desk lamp

-Hangers

-Full-length mirror

-Storage units

-Mini step stool

-Trash can

-Cloth, stackable storage bins

-Under-the-bed plastic storage bins with lids

-Fan

(Look into your school’s air conditioning situation in the residence halls to determine if you actually need one.)

Bath

Some of these items may not be applicable if you have a communal bathroom.

-Bath pouf

-Bath towels (I suggest three or four)

-Washcloths (I suggest three or four)

-Shower wrap/robe

-Bathroom rug

-Shower caddy

-Shower shoes

-Shampoo and conditioner

-Shaving cream

-Body wash and face wash

Desk

-Pens, pencils, permanent markers, highlighters

-Writing utensil container

-Scotch tape and tape dispenser

-Washi tape

(Though not necessarily an essential, I'm obsessed with the various colorful rolls of tape. Plus, you can put it on your walls and it won't peel off any paint.)

-Scissors

-Paper clips, binder clips, rubber bands, pushpins

-Post-it notes of various sizes

-Drawer organizers

-Agenda/planner

-Wall or desk calendar

-Index cards

-Stapler and staples

-White out, Elmer’s glue, glue sticks

Laundry

-Detergent

-Dryer sheets

-Color catchers

-Laundry hamper

-Iron and ironing board

(Check with your roommate and decide who is bringing one, because you really only need one.)

-Lint roller

-Tide To Go/portable stain remover

Toiletries/Personal Hygiene

-First aid kit

-Razors

-Deodorant

-Face masks and face scrubs

-Hair gel and/or hair mousse

-Hairspray (if your school allows it)

-Body lotion

-Makeup and makeup remover

-Moisturizer

-Toothpaste, mouthwash, and floss

-Toothbrushes

-Nail polish and nail polish remover

-Cotton balls, cotton rounds and Q-tips

-Bobby pins, hair clips, and hair ties

-Hairbrush/comb

-Curling iron, straightener, and hair dryer

-Nail clippers and nail file

-Feminine products

-Tissues

-Toilet paper (if you don't have a communal bathroom)

-Tweezers

-Chapstick

-Various medicines

-Makeup mirror

Food and Food Supplies

-Reusable water bottle

-Cereal

-Snacks

-Chip clips

-Keurig/coffee maker (if your school allows it)

-K-cups/coffee

-Coffee creamer

-Bowls, cups, mugs, plates

-Dish towel

-Small blender (if your school allows it)

-Mini fridge/freezer (if your school allows it or doesn’t already provide it)

-Microwave (if your school allows it or doesn’t already provide it)

-Paper towels

-Ziploc bags

-Tupperware containers

-Utensils

-Brita water filter

-Travel mug

Decoration

-Picture frames/collage frames

-Twine and clothespins to hang pictures

-Developed pictures

-Dry erase board and dry erase markers

-Command strips and hooks

Cleaning

Some of these items may not apply if you are not responsible for cleaning your own bathroom.

-Broom/dustpan

-Vacuum

-Mop

-Lysol wipes

-Glass cleaner

-Sponge

-Dishwashing soap

-Trash bags

-Shower cleaner

-Drain cleaner

-Toilet brush

-Toilet cleaner

Clothing/Shoes

-Athletic clothes

-Casual clothes

-Jeans

-Athletic sneakers

-Formal wear

-Professional wear

-Casual dresses

-Undergarments

-Extra socks

-Rain boots

-Rain jacket

Electronics

-Laptop and charger

-Surge-protected power strips

-Calculator

-TV

-Ethernet cord

-HDMI cord

-Extra chargers

-Portable charger

Miscellaneous

-Flashlight

-Headphones

-Speakers

-Safety pins

-Mini tool kit

-Stamps

-Hot glue gun

-Laptop case

-Amazon prime membership

-Deck of cards

-Mini sewing kit

-Lightbulbs

Have fun dorm shopping, and don't forget about coupons!