A Thank You To The Marine Corps For What It Taught Me

“The Few. The Proud. The Marines.”

208
personal

"Without the brave efforts of all the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines and their families, this Nation, along with our allies around the world, would not stand so boldly, shine so brightly and live so freely." -Lane Evans

On November 10th, it will be the 241st birthday of the Marine Corps. For 241 years we have had brave people go make the biggest commitment of their lives. This involves someones sibling, mother, father, daughter, son, aunt, uncle, grandpa, grandma, ect. I bet it's hard for you to sit there and not think of somebody involved someway with the Marine Corps. I know I come from a family that revolves around it. My Great Grandpa, my Grandpa, and my Father. My Mom was a dependent then a spouse of the military for most of her life. Now for me ever since I was two, it has been all I have known. So I have a thank you to the Marine Corps for what it has taught me over the years..

Thank you for teaching me strength. It takes a toll on you every day to know your own Father works for a job that could make him never walk through the door again. I think we are all scared of War but it's a whole other thing to know that someone who you see and love everyday has been in one. I have to worry if I will see him again but he has to worry if he will see us again. Seeing my Dad make that decision everyday to walk out the door taught me that there are things bigger than all of us out in world. Yes, my family is important but that doesn't make me as important as what is going on in other families. Everyday my Dad goes out to protect thousands of families not just mine.

Thank you for teaching me friendship & trust. I had to put the entire Marine Corps in my trust to bring my Father home safely. I had to rely on people I never met to take care of his life. It also made me quick to be honest because you never know how long you have. You never know if the next time you see your family member would be your last. Not to mention as a child of the Marine Corps you never know when you will see your friends again. You move almost abruptly from a group of friends all the time. It is great though when you move and see people you hadn't seen in six or eight years. I now trust that friendships that are worth my time don't have to reside in the same zip code as I.

Thank you for teaching me faith. This one is the most important to me. My faith has never faltered and I'm happy to be that way in times like we live today. You have to have faith to endure the uncertainty. My family has prayed to God so many times for a good duty station or for my Father to stay safe. The commitment to this country my Dad made was one we all made, maybe not knowingly, but eventually we accepted it and believed in it. I have the knowledge that no matter how rough times are we can get through it with the strength of God.

The Marine Corps is a part of my family and will forever be.
I will never forget the blessings it gave me in life; healthcare, traveling, education, freedom, and a home.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference.
The Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan