What Is Sisterhood To You?

What Is Sisterhood To You?

It's harder to answer than you may think.

2181
What Is Sisterhood To You?
Xi Omicron Iota Sorority

I’ve been a sorority for a little over two years now, and it seems that whenever someone outside of my sorority asks me “What is sisterhood?”

I have the hardest time answering it. It isn’t because I don’t know what it is, but it’s because it’s hard to put something so meaningful to my soul and being into words. You grow with your sisters from the second you get your bid to the time you go alum. Another thing is that sisterhood means something different to everyone, and it has all made a different impact on their lives.

So, to figure out what it means and the impacts that it has made, I asked a few of my sisters, “What is sisterhood to you?” and “What impact has sisterhood made on your life?” Here is what they had to say:

“What is sisterhood to you?”

“To me, sisterhood is more than just a group of girls. They are my friends, my family, my support system, and my life. It’s about growing as a person through experiences that you have been through with them. It’s about never turning your back on any of them, even if you don’t get along. Sisterhood is undying love that is carried throughout the entirety of your life, and gives some of the best years of your life.” - Bree

“I kind of relate sisterhood to the whole, “You are my person” thing from Grey’s anatomy. It’s being there for someone no matter what and accepting them for who they are. Sisters are supposed to be the people you’d call when you need them the most, like if you have to hide a body or what not.” - Chelsea

"I Think it's about building each other up and helping each other grow as a person and making memories with them along the way." - Rachel

“Sisterhood to me is always having a group of girls that you can depend on and make awesome memories with. It may be hard being away from your family in college, but your sisters are your support system and you can always go to them when you are feeling down. It’s nice to be a part of a group of women that always lift you up and give you the confidence that you didn’t have before.” - Kayla

“To me, sisterhood is support and optimism even when everything is looking down. It’s building someone up, even you don’t like them, giving them a chance, and being willing to change your mind about them. It’s really caring about people and believing they would do the same for you. Sisterhood is also about learning from others and helping them learn too. Whether it’s about themselves or the world. Hopefully, along the way, we can all grow as people and sisters at the same time.” - Allison

“Sisterhood means having a bond with individuals who will always love and support you no matter what. They will always be there for you and help you become the best version of yourself.” - Krista

“Sisterhood is a bond deeper than common interests, similar majors, and close proximity. Your sisters are the people you may not be with every day, but will be there for you anytime.” - Tobi

“I think sisterhood means accepting the people around you for who they are, and vice versa. It’s girls that you feel like you can be yourself around, and not have to worry about judgment being put on you.” - Lauren

“What impact has sisterhood made on your life?”

“Sisterhood made me look at a lot of things from a different perspective. Made me open my mind to new ideas that I would never have considered before. Being around so many different ladies from different backgrounds have really helped me grow in that way as I learned about them. Sisterhood has also impacted me in being more confident in myself, who I am and what I have been asked to explain things or show someone things I care about. It has also reminded me in some of the worst times, I can get past the dark stuff and I will always have someone to lean on.” - Allison

" It's brought me so many opportunities to grow closer with girls and has taught me how to love on girls even if we have different interests." - Rachel

“It has given me a support system that has helped build my confidence enough to get involved in other areas on campus, and apply to leadership roles.” - Tobi

“It’s made an impact on me because I feel like I always have people to go to now. I felt lonely a lot of the time in my first semester of college, but now I have an amazing support system of awesome girls who I love to be around!” - Lauren

“Sisterhood has made such an impact on my life. It has helped shape me into the person that I always saw myself being. I’ve learned to hold my head high, and never let even the darkest of times get me down. Each one on my sisters has made an impact by giving me not only friendship and sisterhood but loyalty beyond compare. I wouldn’t be who I am today if these women weren’t in my life. I can say that for sure.” - Bree

“”Before I had all my sisters, I didn’t think I would make any new friends in college. I was worried I couldn’t put myself out there enough, but as soon as I joined, I made so many friends than I ever expected I would in college. I can honestly say I have an overall happier and better experience here at my university because of my sisters and the sisterhood they gave me.” - Kayla

“My sisterhood has made an impact on my life because it lets me have something to look forward to. I have and will continue to obtain many goals because of this sisterhood. I have stayed true to myself, and I have discovered who I want to be as a person and through Christ with my sisters by my side.” - Krista

“It really helped me grow as a person and find who I really am. This sisterhood has truly helped me through some of the hardest times I have experienced in my life. I am so thankful for what they have given me.” - Chelsea

Sisterhood means something different to everyone. If you ask every girl in your chapter, each will have a different answer of what it is and what it’s done for them. Sisterhood is a beautiful thing that shouldn’t be taken advantage of. Cherish while you’re a new member, an active, or an alum. It is important, and I hope this helps you think about what it means to you and leads you to ask other what it means to them.